Are you curious about the world, a critical thinker, and innovative with problem solving? Consider joining the STEM Career Community! Our community focuses broadly on utilizing technology, research, data, and mathematics to solve complex problems, develop and explore new ideas, and innovate to make the world a better place. These careers can include biologists, chemists, geologists, physicists, mathematicians, engineers, computer programmers, data scientists, environmental scientists, and more!
Lunch & Learns
Join the STEM community over the lunch hour to discuss important topics in STEM fields, such as mentorship of women in STEM, what it means to be a researcher, how to land a STEM internship, failure in STEM, and more!
Interested in going to graduate school for a research-based STEM program? Want an opportunity to fund 3 years of your graduate education? Come learn about the National Science Foundation (NSF) Graduate Research Fellowship Program (GRFP) during drop-in hours in September and October! More information on Handshake!
Internship and Research Experiences Workshops
STEM internship applications are usually due early spring, so come join your STEM career community to tackle them together! We will have an internship information session over the lunch hour in early January and a community work time at the end of January.
Choose Ohio First Scholars
OWU welcomed its first cohort of Choose Ohio First scholars this year (news release)! This program is providing scholarships to 10 students pursuing STEM majors, and they will be supported throughout their first year and beyond with STEM Career Catalyst meetings.
Please see our extensive list of Alumni Partners who are eager to help students and fellow Alumni with their career and professional goals. The individuals on this page are happy to be contacted for 1:1 conversations, presentation invitations, and other engagements. Please click on their profiles to learn more and to see their contact details. We encourage students, faculty, Alumni, and staff to engage with these Alumni and form valuable OWU Connections.
- American Association for the Advancement of Science
- American Chemical Society
- American Geosciences Institute
- American Mathematical Society
- American Physical Society
- American Society for Microbiology
- Association for Women in Mathematics
- Association for Women in Science
- IEEE Computer Society
- Society for Neuroscience
- Society for the Advancement of Chicanos and Native Americans in Science
- Zoological Association of America
- National Science Foundation Graduate Research Fellowship Program (NSF GRFP)
- National Science Foundation Research Experiences for Undergraduates (REU)
- Pathways to Science – Professional Development/Research Opportunities
- Kaggle – Machine Learning and Data Science Community and Competitions
- OWU Summer Science Research Program (SSRP)
- OWU Theory-to-Practice Grants