INTERNSHIPS ARE VALUABLE FOR
- Gaining out-of-class experience; taking what you’ve learned in the classroom and applying it in the world of work.
- Building skills and acquiring an understanding of the demands of a particular career field.
- Deciding if this type of work is a good fit for you.
- Increasing your marketability with employers or graduate schools.
- Enhancing your confidence in your abilities.
- Beginning to create a professional network.
RELEVANT WORK EXPERIENCE A KEY FOR JOB-SEARCH SUCCESS
Nearly three-quarters of surveyed employers said they prefer to hire job candidates who have pertinent experience. Read more
CHECK OUT THE RECOMMENDATIONS AND LINKS BELOW AS YOU BEGIN YOUR INTERNSHIP SEARCH
- Meet with a Career Services professional to help you identify what type of internship you want and how to search for it.
- Check out the Choosing a Major section of our website for information on self-assessment and choosing majors and careers.
- What Can I Do With This Major? Connect majors to careers; learn typical career areas and types of employers by major; identify strategies for entry into various career fields.
LinkedIn OWU networking site – Join the Ohio Wesleyan Alumni & Friends group and connect with over 3,300 alumni.
Make LinkedIn work for you! Click here for tips on using LinkedIn to search for internships.
Networking Strategies guide from the National Association of Colleges & Employers
- Handshake– Find jobs and internships posted by employers for Ohio Wesleyan students and alumni on Handshake. Register now!
- GoinGlobal (Premier site) – Find international jobs and internships for 30 countries, updated daily. Includes expert advice on CVs, resumes, work permits and visas.
- Parker Dewey - Apply to paid micro-internships (typically virtual 2-5 week experiences) through this new system!
- International Internship Directory from globalEDGE
- Online Internship Resources – Search for internships using these recommended links and contact our office for passwords. Includes links to summer jobs and adventures.
- Search by OWU Major – Click on any OWU major and find relevant internship links.
- Search for Internships on LinkedIn
- OneWire – Career Management/Matching Tool
- CareerRookie.com – Internship, part-time and entry-level job board.
- Columbus Internship Sites:
- Internship Timeline
- On-site Library – Career Services’ on-site library includes internship resources.
- Attend Career Fairs & Networking Events
- OWU Career & Graduate School Fair – Held on-campus each fall, this event includes employers seeking to fill full-time positions, internships, and summer jobs.
- OFIC CareerFest – This career fair is held every spring semester in Columbus; over 100 employers participate to talk with students about jobs and internships.
- OWU Internship & Summer Job Fair – Held on-campus every spring
- Munch & Mingle – OWU alumni return to campus each fall to network with students.
- Internship Panel – Held in the spring semester, current OWU students discuss their internship experiences.
- Other events to be announced.
- Making Career Fairs Work for You
- Seek advice from your professors and academic advisor.
- Additional Opportunities - A great link to find additional career opportunities