Academic Affairs Administrative Assistant
Search # 2021-0016
Ohio Wesleyan University is a selective, private, undergraduate liberal arts, residential institution founded in 1842 and is located just 20 miles north of Columbus.
The Office of the Provost at Ohio Wesleyan University has an opening for an Administrative Assistant. This is a 12-month position in support of the Provost and Academic Affairs.
Reporting to the Provost, this full-time position involves a wide range of administrative and general support of activities associated with Academic Affairs. These activities include being the first point of contact, meeting planning, executing correspondence, organizing and preparing information and materials, payments, and data entry. This individual will also assist with event planning, committee support, website updates, maintaining minutes, and helping with project management and strategizing effective systems and workflow. The Administrative Assistant must demonstrate the ability to handle confidential information with discretion. Well-developed interpersonal communication skills and a focus on customer service are a must for serving as liaison for the Vice President with individuals from many constituencies including trustees, donors, alumni, parents, faculty, students and staff.
Duties and Responsibilities
General Administrative Support and Office Reception – 30%
- Serve as first point of contact and provide professional telephone and visitor reception to a wide constituency, with proper response (taking messages, etc.) or referral to others as needed; ensure hospitality for visitors.
- Collaborate to develop and implement systems and procedures for office workflow that allow the department/program office to operate professionally, efficiently, and smoothly.
- Initiate and/or assist with professional correspondence between Provost and others in the larger campus community including managing the Provost email listserv.
- Provide support to Provost through calendar management, meeting support (invitations, hospitality, information technology, reservations, etc.).
- Develop and implement procedures for maintaining records, files, and documents to ensure efficient operation of the office in compliance with university policies.
- Maintain stock of office supplies and order supplies using university e-procurement system; initiate work orders as needed for facilities management related work.
Support Faculty Committees including Faculty Personnel Committee – 20%
- Manage the administrative processes related to committee work including faculty personnel evaluation.
- Manage the student course evaluations process.
- Assist faculty in meeting deadlines and adherence to policy guidelines.
Support Provost’s engagement with the Board of Trustees – 5%
- Assist in the creation of slides and materials for meetings.
- Arrange for calls and meetings of the Provost with Board of Trustee members on a regular basis.
Financial Functions – 15%
- Initiate purchase orders and check requests in e-procurement system.
- Oversee Provost P-card purchases; reconcile, ensure approvals, and prepare reports.
- Track expenses and manage budget; alert Provost to variance of actual to budget.
- Initiate travel reimbursements for Provost as needed.
- Process reimbursements for campus guests as per university policies.
Event support – 20%
- Lead Convocation team to plan opening year event.
- Lead Commencement team to plan graduation.
- Coordinate hospitality for Provost-sponsored events, such celebrations, award ceremonies, student recognitions, etc.
Supervise student workers – 10%
- Interview, hire, train, schedule, and supervise student workers.
- Approve student worker timesheets.
- High School Diploma or the equivalent.
- Minimum of five years of experience in providing administrative support, or demonstrated transferable skills in other types of positions.
- Demonstrated proficiency in an office software suite such as Google Docs or Microsoft Word and Excel.
- Experience managing and reconciling budgets and analyzing financial data.
- Strong customer service skills.
- Effective written communication skills.
- Ability to plan and organize work to meet deadlines.
- Ability to work effectively with little to no supervision.
- Ability to interact effectively with diverse populations in a professional and supportive manner.
- Ability to work effectively in support of multiple departments.
- Ability to protect and maintain confidentiality regarding personnel, budget, and project matters.
Preferred Qualifications Include
- College or trade school coursework in administration is preferred.
- Ability to strategize effective processes for office workflow that enhance efficiency.
- Desire for continuous improvement in bettering projects, events, and systems.
- Professional experience with Google Suite of products, including Drive, Calendar, and Mail.
- Successful experience supporting multiple personnel.
- Experience supervising students and/or part time employees.
- Experience with e-procurement.
- Professional experience working in a college or university office.
- Effective oral communication skills.
- Effective interpersonal communication skills.
- Successful experience working with persons from diverse backgrounds.
- Demonstrated successful experience working to enhance diversity and inclusion.
- An appreciation for and willingness to engage with the mission and aims of OWU.
Completed Application Packets Will Include
- Cover Letter that speaks to your ability to meet the qualifications for the position.
- Resume or Curriculum Vitae
- The names, titles, and contact information for three professional references
Please email application materials to: email@example.com
Applications will be accepted until the position is filled but candidates who apply prior to October 23 will receive preferential consideration.
Ohio Wesleyan University, a private liberal arts college located 20 miles north of Columbus, in Delaware, Ohio, promotes and celebrates an inclusive environment free from constraints in areas of culture, race, sex, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, age, religion, family relationship, or economic barriers. Applications by members of all underrepresented groups are encouraged as OWU is an equal opportunity institution and has a strong commitment to supporting diversity, equity, and inclusion and seeks applications from individuals who will help us honor and strengthen this commitment.