Academic Assistant for the Arts
Search # 2021-0018
Ohio Wesleyan University is a selective, private, undergraduate liberal arts, residential institution founded in 1842 and is located just 20 miles north of Columbus.
The Departments of Music, Theatre & Dance, and Fine Arts at Ohio Wesleyan University are searching for Academic Assistant. This is a 10 month position (August 1 - May 31 annually) with full benefits.
Position supports the Departments of Music, Theatre & Dance, and Fine Arts to ensure smooth operation of department functions.
Duties and Responsibilities
Office Reception and General Administrative Support – 30%
- Serve as the first point of contact and provide professional telephone and visitor reception to a wide constituency, with proper response (taking messages, etc.) or referral to others as needed; ensure hospitality for visitors.
- Respond to student and faculty requests for information about departments and academic degree programs offered by the departments.
- Organize and manage department files.
- Provide support to department chairs through calendar management, meeting support (invitations, hospitality, IT reservations, etc.).
- Compose and finalize responses to routine internal and external requests.
- Take minutes for departmental committee meetings as needed.
Support for Departmental Operations – 30%
- Develop and implement systems and procedures for office workflow that allow the department/program office to operate professionally, efficiently, and smoothly.
- Support department chair with development of course composite by reserving classrooms (using Ad Astra system) as appropriate.
- Help faculty with textbook orders when appropriate (Verba system).
- Manage room scheduling for multiple venues in various performing arts buildings, creating and maintaining a reservation calendar using appropriate online tools.
- Assist in student recruitment by scheduling prospective student visits, facilitating communication with prospective students, coordinating faculty recruitment events.
- Assist with keeping the website fresh by liaising with web support contact to provide new and engaging content; also coordinate with university communications office regarding social media posts to promote events, concerts, openings, exhibitions, etc.
- Initiate and/or assist with professional correspondence, including communication between chair/director, Associate Provosts, and others in the larger campus community.
- Assist the chairs with distribution of materials related to student evaluation of teaching.
- Understand and act on university information, policies, and correspondence.
- Maintain stock of office supplies (including copier supplies, paper, office supplies, etc.), and order supplies using university e-procurement system according to university policies; maintaining network printer paper and toner.
- Initiate work orders as needed for department/program (regarding plumbing, heating and other facilities management related work).
Financial Functions – 20%
- Initiate purchase orders and check requests in E-Procurement system; Provide assistance and support to faculty for procurement.
- Oversee P-card purchases for department(s), reconcile, ensure approvals, and prepare reports as per university process.
- Track expenses and manage budget; alert supervisors to variance of actual to budget.
- Track expenses for each production; provides regular updates on expenditures to chairs.
- Initiate travel reimbursements for faculty as needed.
- Process reimbursements for campus guests as per university policies.
Event Support – 10%
- Coordinate student audition events, including scheduling, reservations, hospitality, and calendar support.
- Coordinates the daytime portion of the box office for department productions and concerts.
- Coordinate hospitality for department events, such as opening picnics, graduation celebrations, award ceremonies, student recognitions, etc.
- Provide administrative support for annual events.
Supervise Student Workers – 10%
- Post student employment positions using the “Handshake” procedures.
- Collaborate with department chairs to interview, hire, train, schedule, and supervise student workers, including those working on production publicity materials.
- Approve student worker time worked in ADP self-service.
- High School Diploma or the equivalent.
- Three years of experience providing administrative support, or demonstrated transferable skills in other types of positions.
- Demonstrated proficiency in word processing and spreadsheet software such as Microsoft Word and Excel or Google Documents and Sheets.
- Experience managing and reconciling budgets and analyzing financial data.
- Effective written communication skills.
- Professional experience planning events.
- Ability to work effectively in support of multiple departments.
- Ability to protect and maintain confidentiality regarding personnel, budget, and project matters.
Preferred Qualifications Include
- Professional experience with Google Suite of products, including Drive, Calendar, and Mail.
- College or trade school coursework in administration is preferred.
- Successful professional experience supporting multiple personnel.
- Experience supervising students and/or part time employees.
- Strong customer service skills.
- Experience with E-Procurement.
- Experience designing event programs.
- Ability to plan and organize work to meet deadlines.
- Professional experience working in a college or university office.
- Professional experience process improvement and increasing efficiency.
- Effective oral communication skills.
- Effective interpersonal communication skills.
- Professional demeanor and successful experience interacting effectively with constituents at all levels in an organization.
- Successful experience working with persons from diverse backgrounds.
- Ability to work effectively with little to no supervision.
- An appreciation for and willingness to engage with the mission and aims of OWU.
Completed Application Packets Will Include
- Cover Letter that speaks to your ability to meet the qualifications for the position.
- Resume or Curriculum Vitae
- The names, titles, and contact information for three professional references
Please email application materials to: email@example.com
Applications will be accepted until the position is filled but candidates who apply prior to October 23 will receive preferential consideration.
Ohio Wesleyan University, a private liberal arts college located 20 miles north of Columbus, in Delaware, Ohio, promotes and celebrates an inclusive environment free from constraints in areas of culture, race, sex, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, age, religion, family relationship, or economic barriers. Applications by members of all underrepresented groups are encouraged as OWU is an equal opportunity institution and has a strong commitment to supporting diversity, equity, and inclusion and seeks applications from individuals who will help us honor and strengthen this commitment.