Academic Secretary – English & Comparative Literature
Founded in 1842, Ohio Wesleyan University is one of the nation’s premier liberal arts universities. Located in Delaware, Ohio, just 20 miles north of Columbus, the private university offers more than 90 undergraduate majors and competes in 25 NCAA Division III varsity sports. Through Ohio Wesleyan’s signature OWU Connection program, students integrate knowledge across disciplines, build a diverse and global perspective, and apply their knowledge in real-world settings. Ohio Wesleyan is featured in the book “Colleges That Change Lives” and included in the U.S. News & World Report and Princeton Review “best colleges” lists. Learn more at www.owu.edu.
The Departments of English and Comparative Literature invite applications for an Academic Secretary.
Ohio Wesleyan University has an opening for a full-time (nine-month) position as an Academic Secretary who will act as a receptionist and have a range of office management responsibilities. This position will assist the departments of English and Comparative Literature, working with full- and part-time faculty, students and students assistants, and university personnel in other offices
- Office management and recordkeeping
- Serving as receptionist and providing information and assistance to students and other visitors
- Assisting department chairs and other faculty with scheduling, planning, and advertising events
- Supervising student office assistants
- Navigating the University accounting and purchasing systems
- A minimum of a high school diploma (or equivalent)
- A minimum of two years’ experience as a secretary or similar office position, preferably in an academic environment
- Familiarity with Microsoft Word and Excel
- Good written and oral communication skills
- Ability to cooperate and work with a diverse range of faculty, students, and staff
- Ability to prioritize tasks, take initiative, and work effectively without close supervision
- Knowledge of basic web design highly desirable
Completed Applications Will Include
- Cover Letter with salary requirements
- The names, titles and contact information for three professional references.
Please email application materials to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Application review will begin immediately and will continue until position is filled.
Ohio Wesleyan University promotes and celebrates an inclusive environment free from constraints in areas of culture, race, sex, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, age, religion, family relationship, or economic barriers. Applications by members of all underrepresented groups are encouraged as OWU is an equal opportunity institution and has a strong commitment to supporting diversity, equity and inclusion.