Ohio Wesleyan University has an opening for a regular, fulltime (nine-month) position as an Academic Secretary who will also act as a receptionist and have a range of office management responsibilities. This position will serve the departments of Politics and Government, and Sociology and Anthropology, as well as the East Asian Studies, International Studies, Pre-Law, and Social Justice Programs, and the Arneson Institute for Practical Politics and Public Affairs. They must also be able to cooperate and work with a diverse group of people, including ten full-time faculty, several part-time faculty, students and student assistants, and university personnel in other offices.
- Serving as receptionist for the departments and programs listed above, providing information and assistance to students and other visitors
- Assisting faculty with exams, scheduling, and navigating the accounting and purchasing systems
- Assisting department chairs, program directors, and other faculty with scheduling, planning and advertising events
- Supervising student office assistants
- Maintaining office supplies
- Assisting faculty with communications with majors, including production of department newsletters each semester
- A minimum of a high school diploma (or equivalent)
- A minimum of two years of experience as a secretary or similar office position, preferably in an academic environment
- Familiarity with Microsoft Word and Microsoft Excel
- Good written and oral communication skills
- Ability to maintain a high degree of confidentiality
- Ability to cooperate and work with a diverse array of students, faculty, and staff
- Ability to prioritize assigned tasks while recognizing the need for flexibility, and to work effectively and efficiently under pressure and without close guidance or supervision
- Knowledge of basic web design and Microsoft Publisher is highly desirable
Completed Applications Will Include
- Cover Letter addressing fulfillment of qualifications and salary expectations
- Resume or Curriculum Vitae
- The names, titles and contact information for three professional references.
Please email application materials to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Application review will begin immediately and will continue until position is filled.
Ohio Wesleyan University promotes and celebrates an inclusive environment free from constraints in areas of culture, race, sex, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, age, religion, family relationship, or economic barriers. Applications by members of all underrepresented groups are encouraged as OWU is an equal opportunity institution and has a strong commitment to supporting diversity, equity and inclusion.