The Office of Admission at Ohio Wesleyan University (OWU) invites applications for an Admission Counselor to share responsibility for active recruitment and enrollment of a nationwide pool of students. There are currently two positions available. The successful candidate will possess strong communication, management and organizational skills and be willing to travel up to 8-10 weeks a year. This is a full-time, salaried position with benefits. Weekend and evening work will be required. This individual reports to the Director of Admission.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Travel extensively in recruitment territories assigned by the Director of Admission.
- Manage a pool of prospects and inquiries within an assigned region from point of entry through enrollment.
- Represent Ohio Wesleyan University at high school visits, college fairs, community events, college nights, and application workshops.
- Plan and execute on and off-campus recruitment and yield receptions.
- Conduct admission interviews and information sessions throughout the admission cycle for prospective students and their families.
- Develop strong relationships with prospective students and their families including personal communication through email, text messaging, phone calls, and personal interaction as appropriate.
- Foster and maintain professional relationships with high school counselors, independent counselors, community-based organizations (CBO), industry associations, parents of current students, and alumni.
- Timely management and evaluation of applications for admission and supporting credentials (per office policy), including the recommendation of admission decisions.
- Develop and cultivate an in-depth knowledge of the university and its academic and extracurricular programs, and be able to articulate these with accuracy, clarity, and a clear sense of professional commitment to the benefits of an Ohio Wesleyan University education.
- Develop a clear understanding of the administrative policies and practices that are to be followed in the course of the recruitment process (e.g. travel reimbursement policies, on-road recruitment practices, telephone and written correspondence practices, territory management, travel planning, etc.)
- The successful candidate will be expected to manage one or two substantial projects for the Office of Admission. These might include serving as the athletic liaison, liaison to the faculty, coordinating transfer recruitment, data management, or other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution is required.
- 1-3 years admission or related experience is preferred.
- Experience with Microsoft and Google products is preferred.
- Knowledge of and experience with Slate is highly desirable.
- Demonstrated evidence of strong oral and written communications skills.
- A positive attitude and strong work ethic is required.
- The ability to speak a second language is beneficial but not required.
- A valid driver’s license and the ability to be covered under the University’s car insurance is required.
***A completed application will include the following information in ONE document***
- Letter of interest
- The names, titles and contact information for three professional references.
Please attach application materials as one document (entitled: LastName_FirstName) to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Application review will begin immediately and will continue until position is filled.
Ohio Wesleyan University, a private liberal arts college located 20 miles north of Columbus, in Delaware, Ohio, promotes and celebrates an inclusive environment free from constraints in areas of culture, race, sex, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, age, religion, family relationship, or economic barriers. Applications by members of all underrepresented groups are encouraged as OWU is an equal opportunity institution and has a strong commitment to supporting diversity, equity and inclusion.