Assistant Director of Annual Giving - Team OWU
Ohio Wesleyan University seeks an Assistant Director of Annual Giving to increase philanthropic support from athletic alumni, parents of current and former student athletes, and others with interest in OWU athletics, primarily in support of annual operations and, as appropriate, in support of endowment and facilities.
Reporting to the Director of Annual Giving, and partnering with the University Advancement staff, the Assistant Director is responsible for the personal cultivation, solicitation, and stewardship of annual athletic gifts. This position oversees annual fundraising efforts for athletics with a focus on individual donors, corporate sponsorships and the annual athletic golf outing.
The successful candidate will communicate the goals and mission of Ohio Wesleyan University to donors, alumni, parents, and friends through face-to-face meetings, substantive phone conversations and in writing. The successful candidate must be comfortable soliciting alumni and parents for annual gifts. Some travel to meet with prospects in Ohio and limited travel to key athletic away events. Occasional attendance at sporting events strongly encouraged.
The successful candidate will have fundraising experience and additional experience in corporate sponsorships and volunteer management is a plus. The candidate must be collaborative and able to thrive in a team environment. The candidate must adapt to working with alumni, parents, coaches, and friends of OWU. Experience working in higher education, an athletics program or non-profit organization preferred.
Specific Responsibilities Include
- Identify, cultivate, solicit and steward current and potential donors to annual giving programs by engaging prospects in a variety of media (face-to-face, phone, in writing). A minimum of 50 meetings in addition to extensive phone calls.
- Focused effort on individual donors - partnering with major gifts and leadership gift officers to develop strategy, grow mid-level donors through consistent engagement with coaches, and focus on reengaging lapsed donors.
- Work closely with Director of Athletics and University Advancement leadership to develop strategy for individual donors and broad-based communication/engagement/solicitation/stewardship efforts.
- Develop and execute robust corporate sponsorship program in conjunction with Director of Athletics and University Advancement leadership
- Work in partnership with coaches and Alumni Relations on athletic alumni reunions; specifically, the strategy and execution of related solicitations.
- Provide information and assistance to athletic volunteers to support their peer to peer recruitment, solicitations, and other assignments. Follow up with volunteers to ensure completion of assigned responsibilities.
- In partnership with University Athletics, develop fundraising goals, strategies and manage the execution of the annual athletic golf outing; and oversees the recruitment, training, motivation, and management of the golf outing volunteers.
- Partner with coaches to develop strategic engagement and solicitation strategies.
- Collaborate with Athletics, Major Gifts, Planned Giving, and the Alumni Relations teams in order to maximize prospect and donor relationships with Ohio Wesleyan University.
- Functions as a team player within Annual Giving, Development and University Advancement.
- Effectively communicate results of contacts to appropriate personnel, such as other University Advancement and University staff and utilize Raiser’s Edge to document the call reports and other relevant information about donor and prospect moves management.
Qualified candidates will have a Bachelor’s Degree in a related field and a minimum of two to four (2-4) years of fundraising experience, preferably in the field of higher education and in which at least one (1) year included personal solicitation of donors or management of volunteers. Other qualifications include: the ability to travel for occasional personal solicitation and to attend regional events and to work occasionally on weekends and evenings, organize and work with volunteers, strong computer skills, attention to detail, a basic knowledge of athletics, ability to take initiative, excellent verbal and written communication skills, excellent interpersonal skills and a valid drivers' license.
Completed application packets will include:
- Cover Letter with salary requirements,
- The names, titles, and contact information for three professional references.
Please email application materials to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Application review will begin immediately and will continue until position is filled.
Ohio Wesleyan University promotes and celebrates an inclusive environment free from constraints in areas of culture, race, sex, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, age, religion, family relationship, or economic barriers. Applications by members of all underrepresented groups are encouraged as OWU is an equal opportunity institution and has a strong commitment to supporting diversity, equity, and inclusion.