Campus Store Merchandising Assistant
Under general direction of the Store Manager, the Merchandising Assistant procures general merchandise for resale in the OWU Campus Store, owned and operated by Ohio Wesleyan University. The Merchandising Assistant role performs the complex and technical functions of the buying process; managing inventory, preparing items for resale; identifies sales opportunities; assists in the organization and coordination of operational processes; and other related work as required.
This is a full-time, 10-month, hourly positon with full university benefits. Some evening and weekend hours throughout the school year will be required but will comprise less than 10% of the total annual hours.
- Serve as primary contact with external vendors for general merchandise regarding quotes, service, quality issues, delivery timeframes, and invoice reconciliation.
- Compare and analyze quotations and bids, and recommend products.
- Negotiate with vendors in order to obtain an advantageous supply and purchase price.
- Create requisitions for general merchandise in the procurement system.
- Conduct the necessary follow-up activities to finalize purchase order transactions.
- Inventory Management
- Build general merchandise item information in the point of sale system.
- Price merchandise to obtain expected margin.
- Responsible for general merchandise receiving in the POS system and payables system.
- Responsible for shelf tags and merchandise tagging.
- Responsible to move inventory ready for sale to the floor.
- Assist in the planning, development, coordination and the implementation of a master buying calendar.
- As inventory sells through, determine re-order or new items based on sales history and future sales analysis.
- Conducts store walkthroughs on a daily basis to ensure proper stock levels, inventory placement and customer service levels.
- Maintain merchandise visibility and images on store website.
- Assist in creation of marketing and promotion collateral for store, flyers, and website.
- Assist with maintenance and postings on store social media accounts
- Partner with the Manager to execute promotions and sales.
- Meet with offices/organizations on campus to order internal-use promotional items through store.
- Build key partnerships with campus organizations for promotional opportunities and special events and assist with off-site sales opportunities (e.g., graduation, basketball, author signings, etc.).
- Reinforce brand standards throughout the store to maintain brand integrity and drive sales.
- Answer phones; provide information, and direct callers as needed.
- Greet and assist customers in finding products.
- Key holder with opening and closing responsibilities.
- May fill in for other personnel during breaks, lunch, vacation or peak seasonal periods, including register operations, orders, and textbook questions.
- Assist with textbook returns and buy-back events.
- Supervises the student employees of the store in the absence of the manager including assigning work as well as assisting with interviewing and training new student employees.
- Assist with inventory per store schedule.
- Assist with shrink prevention practices and activities.
- 3-5 years' work related experience.
- Ability to lift and carry up to 40 lbs.
- Ability to pack/unpack and move inventory from store to off-site locations.
- Ability to stand on feet for long periods.
- Ability to work outside on occasions for sales events.
- Ability to work evenings and weekends on special occasions or inventory.
- Ability to work cooperatively in a team environment.
- Customer service skills.
- Strong organizational skills.
- Strong communication skills (verbal and written).
- Ability to pay close attention to detail is essential.
- Experience managing social media accounts.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite
- Experience working with POS Systems.
- Strong knowledge of computer office systems and ability to research.
- Ability to establish and maintain a variety of specialized and complex records utilizing a computer.
- Experience with the procure-to-pay process and standard purchasing terminology.
- Associate Degree
- Bookstore experience
- Sales/marketing experience
- Purchasing experience
Completed Applications Will Include
- Cover Letter which includes salary requirements
- The names, titles and contact information for three professional references.
Please email application materials to: email@example.com
Application review will begin immediately and will continue until position is filled.
Ohio Wesleyan University, a private liberal arts college located 20 miles north of Columbus, in Delaware, Ohio, promotes and celebrates an inclusive environment free from constraints in areas of culture, race, sex, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, age, religion, family relationship, or economic barriers. Applications by members of all underrepresented groups are encouraged as OWU is an equal opportunity institution and has a strong commitment to supporting diversity, equity and inclusion.