Director of Advancement Communications
The University Advancement Division of Ohio Wesleyan University invites applications for a Director of Advancement Communications position. Reporting to the Vice President, the Director is a member of the University Advancement leadership team and is responsible for the vision, strategy, and leadership of university advancement communications, marketing, and donor relations programs. The Director will develop and execute a comprehensive advancement communications plan that increases engagement and achieves advancement objectives with key constituent groups, including alumni, donors, parents, and friends.
The Director will also lead the communications plan for the university’s Connect Today, Create Tomorrow campaign. The comprehensive Connect Today, Create Tomorrow campaign was launched with a goal of $200 million in July 2014. To date, more than $197 million has been secured with two years remaining in the seven-year campaign.
Essential Responsibilities Include
- Ability to establish a clear strategic direction for advancement communications ensuring the work is focused and devoted to those initiatives that will have the greatest impact on the goals of University Advancement and the Connect Today, Create Tomorrow campaign;
- Oversee the University Advancement and Connect Today, Create Tomorrow campaign web sites and all collateral materials, including compelling student and faculty stories. Develop and execute social media, digital, video, etc. to increase giving, promote alumni/donor engagement and tell the story of OWU to target audiences in advancement;
- Write, plan, and/or edit content for key University Advancement communications, including but not limited to solicitations, gift proposals, stewardship/impact reports, invitations, event programs, annual giving appeals, etc.;
- In collaboration with stewardship staff ensure timely and meaningful donor communications for campaign donors, endowment donors, and other principal and major gift donors;
- Collaborate with advancement team and internal stakeholders to announce significant gifts, garnering strategic visibility for current and prospective donors. Coordinate with the university’s Communications team to incorporate Connect Today, Create Tomorrow campaign objectives into broader communications and marketing activities, talking points, presentations, reports, social media efforts and other channels;
- Makes data driven decisions to inform strategy, determine priorities, and measure performance;
- Serve on the Editorial Board to help drive strategy and execution of the Ohio Wesleyan alumni magazine in partnership with University Communications.
- Staff Management:
- Manages the day-to-day operations of the donor relations team and program.
- Bachelor's degree in writing, communications, or related field with a minimum of 5 years of professional experience working in communications or marketing, preferably in higher education, development/advancement, or both;
- Excellent writing, proofreading, and editing skills;
- Knowledge of university advancement best practices concerning communication, engagement, cultivation, solicitation and stewardship;
- Creative and innovative approach to communications for philanthropy and alumni engagement will be actively sought;
- Strong interpersonal and organizational skills, including the ability to work effectively with colleagues from all levels of an organization, to interact with donors and other key stakeholders, to meet deadlines, and to manage multiple projects simultaneously;
- Demonstrated ability to take initiative and be a self-starter, manage projects, and determine priorities;
- Ability to work independently, under deadlines, without close supervision;
- Strong computer skills, including Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, and PowerPoint), with the capability to master new software applications and technologies, including database management.
Completed Application Packets Will Include
- Cover Letter
- Up to three writing samples
- The names, titles, & contact information for three professional references.
Please email application materials to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Application review will begin immediately and will continue until position is filled.
Ohio Wesleyan University promotes and celebrates an inclusive environment free from constraints in areas of culture, race, sex, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, age, religion, family relationship, or economic barriers. Applications by members of all underrepresented groups are encouraged as OWU is an equal opportunity institution and has a strong commitment to supporting diversity, equity and inclusion.