Student Account Specialist/Cashier
Founded in 1842, Ohio Wesleyan University is one of the nation’s premier liberal arts universities. Located in Delaware, Ohio, just 20 miles north of Columbus, the private university offers more than 90 undergraduate majors and competes in 25 NCAA Division III varsity sports. Through Ohio Wesleyan’s signature OWU Connection program, students integrate knowledge across disciplines, build a diverse and global perspective, and apply their knowledge in real-world settings. Ohio Wesleyan is featured in the book “Colleges That Change Lives” and included in the U.S. News & World Report and Princeton Review “best colleges” lists. Learn more at www.owu.edu.
The Department of Bursar invites applications for a Student Account Specialist/Cashier.
The student account specialist/cashier is responsible for assisting the Bursar with various functions related to the University’s student accounts including expert customer service, for cashiering for student account payments and for working with students and parents on billing and payment topics.
- Greets students, parents and all visitors to the Bursar’s Office;
- Handles email and telephone inquiries, resolves issues, or routes callers to appropriate resource;
- Assists the Bursar with student billing and payment processes;
- Performs cashiering functions for student account payments and enrollment deposits and runs daily reports out of TMS website to identify and process all payments received;
- Batches all Power Campus transactions on a daily basis and posts them to the general ledger;
- Processes refunds to students and parents weekly:
- Partners with the financial aid counselors in developing student-specific strategies to get accounts settled before they become collection issues;
- Assists with calling and communicating with past due account holders for the purpose of collecting outstanding student account receivables;
- Assists with management of relationships with collection agencies;
- Coordinates designated student account functions such as third party payment plans, third party billings, refunds, and reconciliations;
- Assists with ensuring that all accounts are billed correctly and are properly recognized as revenue at the appropriate time;
- Assists Bursar with monthly reconciliations to the general ledger;
- Sets and clears registration holds and assures proper handling of transcript requests;
- Finalizes student accounts for those students who have withdrawn;
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills with a customer service focus;
- Ability to work cooperatively and collaboratively with students and parents and with all levels of employees, management, and external agencies;
- Associate’s degree in Accounting or related field or equivalent experience
- 1 – 4 years of accounting experience;
- Strong analytical and organizational skills;
- 1-2 years of Microsoft Excel experience.
- Prior higher education experience;
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting;
- Intermediate level knowledge of all accounting functions and related internal controls;
- Prior experience with Power Campus, Tuition Management Systems/Nelnet and Microsoft Dynamics Great Plains.
Completed Applications Will Include
- Cover Letter
- Resume or Curriculum Vitae
- The names, titles and contact information for three professional references.
Please email application materials to: email@example.com
Application review will begin immediately and will continue until position is filled.
Ohio Wesleyan University promotes and celebrates an inclusive environment free from constraints in areas of culture, race, sex, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, age, religion, family relationship, or economic barriers. Applications by members of all underrepresented groups are encouraged as OWU is an equal opportunity institution and has a strong commitment to supporting diversity, equity and inclusion.