BE DRIVEN, BE NOTICED, BE AN ACTIVE OWU STUDENT
Take a step towards your future career by shadowing an OWU Alumnus in your industry of interest.
Externships are short (1-5 days) practical experiences which will allow OWU students to
Apply Today for a Fall 2018 Externship!
Check here for our Fall 2018 Externship Sponsors (Coming Soon)
Application Form (click here)
In order to apply for a Bishop Externship, a student must meet the following criteria:
- Be in good academic standing
- Apply to the BE program through the Career Services website
- Provide a resume & brief statement of interest in the program
- Attend a pre-externship orientation
- Complete forms: emergency contact, medical release, and liability release
- Complete post-externship surveys and attend special events
Students chosen for the Bishop Externships are held to the following expectations:
- Be on-time and professional
- Be courteous of the sponsor’s time
- Be appropriately dressed for the profession
- Be prepared to engage and ask questions
- Complete Application:
Students view descriptions of the Bishop Externships. Students complete the application online including emailing a resume and completing a statement of interest. A student may submit up to three applications for different Bishop Externships, but will only have the opportunity to be chosen for one experience.
- Application Review & Matching:
The Office of Career Services (OCS) reviews student applications, student preferences, and pre-screens candidates. OCS notifies sponsors of qualifying applicants and sponsors may interview candidates as needed. Sponsors submit candidate preferences to OCS. OCS matches chosen applicants with corresponding sponsors.
- Student Notification:
OCS notifies all students of Bishop Externship program acceptance. The student is provided the sponsor’s contact information and required to contact them directly to make further arrangements. If a student declines the experience, the student does not have the opportunity to be selected for another externship.
- Attend Pre-Externship Orientation:
Students attend a mandatory pre-externship orientation which focuses on how to make the most of a Bishop Externship experience, expectations for representing yourself and OWU in the
work place, and an opportunity to have additional questions answered.
- Experience a Bishop Externship:
Students shadow in the
work forcefor 1 to 5 days depending on the Bishop Externship experience and sponsor. Students are required to communicate with the sponsor and notify OCS if any pre-discussed arrangements change.
- Complete Post-Externship Requirements:
Each student completes the following requirements after the Bishop Externship: student evaluations, thank-you note, submit photographs & post-externship statement (used for newspaper & marketing materials), attend events (ex. alumni, homecoming, or orientation panels), reflective assignment, and updated resume.
If you have additional questions, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.