Following are answers to commonly asked questions


Do you need immediate help?

If the crime is immediate (something has just happened):

  • Get to a safe place.
  • If you are seriously injured or in need of immediate medical attention, call 911 or Campus Emergency/Public Safety – 740-368-2222
  • Or, if the injury is less serious, consider asking someone to take you to the local hospital Emergency Room. Ohio Health Grady Memorial Hospital is located at 561 W. Central Ave, here in Delaware. It is just about 2 miles from the OWU campus and is about a 5 minute car ride. Click here for directions. Campus Public Safety can provide transportation to Grady Hospital, and you need not disclose the medical condition for which you are seeking care.

Will I be assured of confidentiality?

You are entitled to privacy and confidentiality when speaking with the SOCAP Counselor/Advocate. OWU staff members who are employed within the scope of their protected professional role (i.e. our licensed counselors, chaplains, or health services employees) per state law, are not required to report the crime, nor are they permitted to provide identifiable information to anyone without your written permission. (Exceptions are made only in the event of serious intent to harm yourself or others.)

Many other people on campus are supportive and knowledgeable resources and we encourage you to use them. However, it is also important for you to understand that all staff and faculty who are not considered to be employed in a "protected professional role” are required to report all alleged or potential Title IX related incidents to our campus Title IX Coordinator (our Vice President for Student Engagement Success/Dean of Students.) This includes RAs, Public Safety, full and part time employees and faculty. Such reports will require information about details involved, including names, dates, and descriptions of the incident. (However, if you are only seeking transportation to the hospital from Public Safety, you need not disclose the medical condition for which you are seeking care or any other details).

Confiding in a staff member who is required to report the incident under Title IX does not mean that you or the staff member must file charges through law enforcement. Rather, only that the incident must be reported by the staff member to the Coordinator if not for any other purpose than statistical reporting. Each incident is unique and the management of which will be determined on a case by case basis. Your privacy and safety as well as the safety of our community is of the utmost importance.

Who are confidential “protected professionals” I can contact?

Confidential on-campus resources:

  • Counseling Services, Hamilton-Williams Campus Center, Rm 324, 40 Rowland Ave. - individual and group counseling services, advocacy, safety, legal and medical resource information. Call or stop in for an appointment.
  • Student Health Center, Stuyvesant Hall, 223 W. William St. - physical examinations, injury care and follow-up, mental health evaluations, women’s health services, STD screenings, as well as referrals to area specialists. Insurance is required and will be billed. Call or stop in for an appointment.
  • Chaplain Services - Hamilton- Williams Campus Center, Rm 308, 40 Rowland Ave. - pastoral care, wrestling with spiritual questions, prayer, guidance, support, advocacy through the reporting process (if desired) and recovery.

Confidential community resources:

  • HelpLine a 24-hour information and referral line - 1-800-684-2324 or 740-369-3316
  • HelpLine/Sexual Assault Resource Network (SARN) - a 24-hour crisis line, providing sexual assault information, assistance and referral to confidential, off campus counseling and support services - 800-684-2324 or 740-369-3316
  • RAINN – a 24-hour rape, abuse and incest national network who can connect you with the nearest available rape crisis center - 1-800-656-HOPE
  • Delaware Health Department – sliding scale fees, women’s clinic, HIV testing - 740-368-1700
  • Grady Memorial Hospital Emergency Room - emergency medical care, no cost sexual assault evidence exams, mental health assessments 740-615-1165

Am I a survivor of Non-Consensual Sexual Activity? Is that a crime?

Sometimes students are unsure if a sexual assault or other form of sexual violence has occurred.  Any sexual activity needs to be consensual or it is a crime.  To learn more about consent, check out these quick YouTube videos:

What is “Sexual Violence?”

The term “sexual violence” includes stalking, domestic or dating violence, sexual harassment or sexual assault. If you have been a victim of a recent sexual assault see the question below: “What should I do if I have been sexually assaulted?” for important, immediate information.

What should I do if I have been sexually assaulted?

See this page for important information.

Who can I talk to about the assault after hours?

(See the question, “Will I be assured of Confidentiality?” above before you call anyone, if this is a concern.)

After hours and on weekends, students may contact:

  • Residential Life Staff are always available to assist you with support and information. From 7pm-7am, contact your RA or Moderator at the phone number posted in your building.
  • Campus Public Safety can assist you with transportation to Grady Memorial Hospital and you need not disclose the medical condition for which you are seeking care: 740-368-2222
  • Delaware Police: 911 or 740- 362-1111
  • HelpLine Information and Referral Line/Sexual Assault Resource Network (SARN) - 1-800-684-2324 or 740-369-3316
  • RAINN – a 24-hour rape, abuse and incest national network - 1-800-656-HOPE
  • OhioHealth Grady Memorial Hospital's Emergency Room - 740-615-1000

Was the sexual violence my fault?

If you have survived one of these crimes, realize, it was NOT your fault. You did not cause the violence. No matter if you were drinking, no matter what you were wearing, no matter what. If sexual activity was not consensual, it is a crime. You are not responsible for another person's choices and actions. Sexual violence is an act of power. When we find ourselves powerless, we often do what we need to do to survive.

How can I support a friend who has been sexually assaulted?

Encourage your friend to carry on with basic self-care such as eating, sleeping, tending to hygiene and attending class. Survivors can experience self-blame. Remind your friend the assault was not her/his/their fault. Encourage but don’t pressure your friend to seek both medical and mental health care. Tell your friend about the SOCAP program offered through Counseling Services to get information and support in order to make informed decisions. See this RAINN page for more helpful information.

How can I learn more about the OWU policy on sexual misconduct?

Not only are acts of sexual violence illegal, OWU has a policy on Sexual Misconduct and students who commit such acts, if reported, can be held responsible. See the Student Handbook for more information and click here for specific information about procedural rights established for student survivors and those students who are accused of Sexual Misconduct.

What is a “crime?”

Unfortunately, crimes occur on university campuses just as they occur in our society.  Crimes can occur to property (vandalism, car theft, breaking and entering, burglary, etc.) as well as to people (robbery, physical and sexual assault, stalking, domestic or dating violence, sexual harassment, child abuse and neglect and others).

Find more helpful information about campus crime in our Clery Campus Safety Report.

How do I know if I have been a “victim” of a crime?

Even if you are unsure if you are a victim of a crime, it’s OK to seek support from our Counselor/Advocate who can share important information with you to help you determine the answer to this important question.

What if I begin to have thoughts, emotions or physical symptoms that make it difficult to function?

If you find yourself experiencing any of the following, it’s a good idea to seek support from the SOCAP Counselor/Advocate or other counselor:

  • replaying the experience over and over in your mind
  • repeatedly asking yourself what you could have done or telling yourself what you should have done differently
  • recurrent feelings as though you are actually re-living or “flashing back” to the experience
  • repeated nightmares about the experience
  • trouble concentrating
  • trouble sleeping or sleeping too much
  • loss of appetite or overeating
  • persistent feelings of fear, guilt, sadness, worthlessness or hopelessness
  • lack of motivation
  • lack of energy
  • increased worry
  • use of alcohol or drugs to “feel better” or forget the unpleasant memories
  • sudden onset of one or more of these sensations: pounding heartbeat, shaking, sweating, a choking feeling/shortness of breath, nausea or butterflies on your stomach or numbness or weakness in parts of your body
  • thoughts of suicide

At a minimum, these can be very distracting to your schoolwork or even cause you to experience serious difficulty functioning in school, at your job or in other aspects of your life. Remember, the OWU SOCAP Counselor/Advocate, as well as other counselors in Counseling Services are trained in and available to provide specific, therapeutic counseling support to help with such thoughts and feelings.