Assistant Director of Career Preparation
Ohio Wesleyan University is a selective, private, residential, undergraduate liberal arts institution founded in 1842 and located 20 miles north of Columbus.
The Office of Career Services invites applications for an Assistant Director of Career Preparation. This is a full-time, exempt position with benefits that reports directly to the Director of Career Services.
Essential Job Functions
- Serve as career coaching specialist for students. Coach students as they both explore career possibilities and ready themselves to interview and begin working in those careers.
- Meeting with students one on one and in groups to help them reflect on their strengths, skills, and experiences, and to discover and explore career options.
- Counsels students on networking best practices and how to effectively utilize social media and other online tools to build and maintain a professional network.
- Oversee student engagement and participation in OWU Alumni Network. Create opportunities for students to use platform to connect with alumni.
- Assist in advising all students and recent alumni in self-assessment, decision-making, and job search skills.
- Oversee 1st year programming for new students introducing them to the career services office.
- Assist students in developing personalized action plans for their professional development and help them define their life goals and what kind of career they seek by helping them evaluate their strengths.
- Advise students on successful job and internship search strategies and enhancing their job search documents.
- Create, coordinate, implement, and facilitate innovative programs and workshops to engage students in their career and professional development.
- Conduct student presentations and directly work with faculty and other staff members of the University. The incumbent should have strong skills in research and data analysis to determine impactful programming, strong execution skills and be able to build relationships with various constituency groups.
- Bachelor’s Degree. Minimum of two years working with students in a college/university setting; previous experience in university career services setting preferred.
- Exceptional interpersonal skills and experience working with both young adults, peers, and valued partners. Ability to successfully coach and advise a wide variety of students and young alumni as they make the transition from undergraduate experience to employment and/or graduate school. Experience in advising on resumes, interviewing and job search strategies/correspondence.
- Strong project management skills (from concept to execution). Strong analytical reasoning and problem-solving skills.
- Excellent administrative and organization skills with attention to details. Ability to work independently as well as part of a team.
- Excellent oral, written, and interpersonal communication skills. Ability to produce and present polished presentations.
- Strong work ethic, a desire to innovate, and deliver outcomes for students.
- Willing and available to work nights and weekends and occasional travel commitments, both locally and out of region.
- Bachelor’s degree (required); Master’s degree preferred in Student Personnel, Counseling and Guidance, Higher Education, or closely-related field.
- Knowledge of career assessment tools such as: MBTI, Strong Interest Inventory and Focus2.
- Ability to work nights and weekends, as necessary.
- Ability to present to large and small groups using PowerPoint or other software.
Completed Applications Will Include
- Cover Letter
- Resume or Curriculum Vitae
- The names, titles and contact information for three professional references.
Please email application materials to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Application review will begin immediately and will continue until position is filled.
Ohio Wesleyan University, a private liberal arts college located 20 miles north of Columbus, in Delaware, Ohio, promotes and celebrates an inclusive environment free from constraints in areas of culture, race, sex, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, age, religion, family relationship, or economic barriers. Applications by members of all underrepresented groups are encouraged as OWU is an equal opportunity institution and has a strong commitment to supporting diversity, equity and inclusion.