Ohio Wesleyan University is a selective, private, residential, undergraduate liberal arts institution founded in 1842 and located 20 miles north of Columbus.
The Office of Finance and Administration invites applications for a Controller. This is a full-time, salaried position with benefits and reports directly to the Vice President of Finance and Administration.
As the chief accountant of the University, the Controller is responsible for organizing, directing, and evaluating a wide variety of financial activities including the planning and development of the University’s system of accounting and financial controls, external reporting, audit and compliance with all related University and government regulations and policies. Directs and is responsible for all aspects of accounting and financial reporting.
Essential Job Functions
- Directly supervises and maintains quality control of the following areas: accounts payable, accounts receivable, general ledger, debt service accounting, construction and fixed assets accounting, grants accounting, credit card/ACH processing, endowment and investment accounting, student accounts, tax reporting and treasury management.
- Coordinates monthly, quarterly and fiscal year end close and prepares the University’s quarterly and annual financial statements, corporate tax returns and other financial compliance reports.
- Prepares routine and ad hoc financial reports including analysis for senior management.
- Ensures the accuracy and timeliness of all financial reporting.
- Develops and administers accounting policies, procedures and internal control systems in compliance with GAAP and industry best practices.
- Prepares financial reporting to meet regulatory and University needs; works closely with the Director of Budget and Accounting Technology to prepare interim budget projections for internal and external purposes.
- Provides consultative assistance to offices/departments across the University in the interpretation of financial and budget information, internal controls and financial related regulatory/compliance requirements.
- Designs and establishes an organizational structure and manages staff to effectively accomplish organizational goals and objectives; recruits, employs, trains, supervises and evaluates staff personnel.
- Serves as staff and reporting to the Board of Trustee’s Audit Subcommittee.
- Participates on University committees that serve to benefit the mission of the University and the Finance Area programs.
- Remains actively involved in professional activities that are relative to the position.
- Fosters positive relationships with internal and external constituencies.
- Other duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities
- Effective oral, written communication and listening skills with the specific ability to explain financial information to all levels of staff and the public.
- Expert knowledge of non-profit accounting principles and processes, including financial statement reporting and integration with budgets and projections.
- Solid experience coordinating audit activities.
- Advanced Microsoft Excel skills.
- Knowledge of and experience with complex accounting information systems, upgrades, and implementations.
- Knowledge and possession of high professional standards and ethics characterized by honesty, integrity, openness and fairness.
- Strong leadership and administrative skills, including but not limited to: planning, personnel, budget and resource management and continuous improvement of the unit’s operations.
- Strong analytical, critical thinking, project management, problem recognition and resolution skills.
- Ability to interpret and appropriately apply accounting principles, standards and regulations.
- Ability to generate timely and accurate financial information and reports.
- Ability and experience developing, implementing and maintaining internal controls to effectively safeguard and manage financial resources.
- Ability to develop collaborative and strong working relationships with internal and external constituencies as a service-oriented professional.
- Previous successful supervisory experience, including the ability to manage and motivate a high performing team to produce within tight timeframes and can serve and/or work collaboratively with a wide array of students, faculty, staff and administrators.
- Solid knowledge of ERP and other business systems and procedures to support internal control and external reporting and compliance requirements for the University (preferably Microsoft Dynamics GP, Ellucian PowerCampus, Blackbaud Raiser’s Edge, and ADP).
- Ability to manage time and deliver projects in an environment of competing priorities.
- Directly supervise Accounting and Bursar’s Offices.
- Oversee student employees and interns.
- Auditors, IRS, investment managers, bankers, other business partners, senior management, faculty, staff and students in various roles.
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting or related field is required. An MBA or graduate degree in Accounting and/or CPA certificate is strongly preferred.
- Seven or more years of progressively responsible accounting and finance experience, preferably in higher education or a complex non-profit organization, which includes managing a professional staff, is required for this position. An equivalent combination of education and experience may be considered.
Completed applications will include:
- Cover Letter
- Resume or Curriculum Vitae
- The names, titles and contact information for three professional references.
Please email application materials to: email@example.com
Application review will begin immediately and will continue until position is filled.
Ohio Wesleyan University, a private liberal arts college located 20 miles north of Columbus, in Delaware, Ohio, promotes and celebrates an inclusive environment free from constraints in areas of culture, race, sex, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, age, religion, family relationship, or economic barriers. Applications by members of all underrepresented groups are encouraged as OWU is an equal opportunity institution and has a strong commitment to supporting diversity, equity and inclusion.