Motor Pool Coordinator
Ohio Wesleyan University is a selective, private, undergraduate liberal arts, residential institution founded in 1842 and is located just 20 miles North of Columbus. The Department of Buildings and Grounds invites applications for a Motor Pool Coordinator. Under limited supervision, this position is responsible for the coordination and oversight of the college’s motor pool operations. This position reports directly to the Mechanical Trades Supervisor. This is a full-time, first shift position (8:30 a.m. to 5 p.m.).
Essential Job Functions:
Manages the University’s motor pool fleet and 52 passenger commercial bus operation:
- Schedules the college’s motor pool vehicles.
- Prepares vehicles and bus for travel prior to each trip- this includes inspecting, cleaning, fueling, etc.
- Refines and implements policies, procedures and standards for ensuring the availability and safe use of vehicles and bus.
- Maintains bus driver and maintenance logs per ODOT requirements
- Schedules and oversees part time bus drivers
- Verifies vehicle trip information including mileage, user identification and vehicle damage.
- Performs minor general maintenance on vehicles, including exterior and interior cleaning, monitors fuel levels.
- Coordinates the regular vehicle maintenance and inspections with vehicle repair shops.
- Maintains a log of vehicle reservations.
- Maintains an inventory of departmental vehicles including VIN numbers, license plate and registration numbers, repair work, inspection timetables, warranty information and all safety equipment in the vehicles.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Employees at all levels are expected to effectively work together to meet the needs of the college, staff and student body.
- Employees are also expected to lead by example and demonstrate the highest level of ethics.
- Motor Pool Operations: Thorough knowledge of current and effective motor pool operations concepts and practices. Knowledge of general and preventive maintenance procedures for vehicles and related equipment. Knowledge of fuel and automotive product handling and storage procedures as well as proper disposal methods as required by the National Fire Protection Association (NFPA), Occupation Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) and the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) regulations.
- University Bus Operation: Working knowledge of current ODOT regulations pertaining to the operation of a 52 passenger bus. Familiarity with minor bus maintenance a plus.
- Customer Service: Understands how to provide excellent customer service.
- Judgment/Decision Making: Exercises appropriate judgement in establishing priorities and resolving matters. Considers the relative costs and benefits of potential actions to choose the appropriate one.
- Interpersonal Relationships: Develops and maintains cooperative and courteous relationships with employees, managers, and representatives from other departments and organizations.
- Communication: Possesses excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Time Management: Ability to establish and implement effective administrative programs and procedure. Ability to plan and organize daily work routine. Establishes priorities for the completion of work in accordance with sound time-management methodology.
- Communication: Ability to communicate ideas and proposals effectively, including the preparation of reports and logs. Ability to listen and understand directions, information and ideas presented verbally and in writing. Ability to handle a variety of customer service issues with tact and diplomacy and in a confidential manner.
Education and Experience:
- Requires a high school diploma and 3- 5 years of experience with fleet or vehicle operations, or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Requires a valid driver’s license with an acceptable driving record. Possession of a CDL with passenger endorsement, or the ability to acquire same within 6 months is required.
- Requires the ability to exert light physical effort in sedentary to light work.
- Some lifting, carrying, pushing and/or pulling of objects and material of light weight (5-75 pounds).
- Tasks may involve extended periods of time at a keyboard or work station.
- Performance of essential functions may require exposure to adverse environmental conditions, such as dust, pollen, humidity, weather, fumes, and traffic hazards.
Completed application packets will include:
- Cover Letter with salary requirements
- Resume or Curriculum Vitae
- The names, titles, & contact information for three professional references.
Please email application materials to : firstname.lastname@example.org
Application review will begin immediately and will continue until position is filled.
Ohio Wesleyan University, a private liberal arts college located 20 miles north of Columbus, in Delaware, Ohio, promotes and celebrates an inclusive environment free from constraints in areas of culture, race, sex, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, age, religion, family relationship, or economic barriers. Applications by members of all underrepresented groups are encouraged as OWU is an equal opportunity institution and has a strong commitment to supporting diversity, equity and inclusion.