Public Services Librarian
Ohio Wesleyan University is a selective, private, undergraduate liberal arts, residential institution founded in 1842 and is located 20 miles north of Columbus. The Libraries at Ohio Wesleyan University invites applications for the position of Public Services Librarian. A professional librarian who is a voting member of the faculty, the Public Services Librarian has responsibility for providing quality library instruction and research support to the OWU population, serving as library liaison to assigned departments and programs (currently a strong need for science), participating in collection development activities, and providing reference services virtually and in-person. OWU Libraries, along with their consortial partners, are currently participating in several exciting scholarly communications-related activities and discussions. The successful candidate will be expected to grow their knowledge and experience in these areas in order to contribute to current and future initiatives. An ideal position for an early career librarian as the Libraries strongly support and encourage relevant professional development opportunities. More experienced candidates are also encouraged to apply.
- Serves as librarian liaison to departments and programs as assigned (current need for Botany & Microbiology, Chemistry, Environment & Sustainability, Geology & Geography, Mathematics & Computer Science, Neuroscience, Psychology, Physics & Astronomy, and Zoology).
- Teaches course-related instruction/information literacy classes, including first-year course (ENG 105, UC 160).
- Provides reference services virtually and in person.
- Responsible for collection development in assigned areas.
- Assists in using emerging technologies to support library services.
- Plays a role in advancing the Libraries’ scholarly communication efforts.
- Participates as member of the Public Services staff, which includes participation in library-wide planning and serving on library committees.
- Provides University service.
- Represents OWU and works collaboratively with consortial counterparts (Five Colleges of Ohio, CONSORT, and OhioLINK)
- Other duties as assigned
- ALA accredited master’s degree in library science
- Experience providing public/user services in a library
- General knowledge of academic library procedures and resources
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills (written & oral)
- Ability to work independently and collaboratively in a collegial environment
- Undergraduate, graduate or equivalent work training in a natural science discipline
- At least 1 year experience providing instruction and or research services in an academic library
- Knowledge of scholarly communication issues/process
- Familiarity with or interest in data science and visualization (particularly using data as a resource)
Completed application packets will include:
- Cover Letter with salary requirements,
- Resume or Curriculum Vitae
- The names, titles, & contact information for three professional references.
Please email application materials to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Application review will begin immediately and will continue until position is filled.
Ohio Wesleyan University is strongly committed to diversity within its community and encourages all interested applicants, including women and minorities, to apply (EEOE).