Residential Life Coordinator
Ohio Wesleyan University is a selective, private, undergraduate liberal arts, residential institution founded in 1842 and is located just 20 miles north of Columbus.
The University’s Student Affairs Division invites applications for a Residential Life Coordinator. Residential Life Coordinator (RLC) is multi-faceted in meeting the co-curricular needs of a diverse population. The RLC role is a full-time, 12-month, live-in, student life position supervising co-ed residential complexes. The person is responsible for implementing a Student Development approach to all aspects of the positions. The primary responsibilities are supervision, administrative, consulting, and programming. The position includes central office responsibilities as well as directing the educational mission of the living units. Each RLC will have an additional collateral assignment in another area of Student Affairs (i.e. Campus Programs, Fraternity and Sorority Life, Career Services, Alcohol and Substance Abuse Prevention) where they may be asked to help with projects or initiatives at times.
- Supervise paraprofessional staff including Resident Assistants (RAs) and Moderators, which includes recruitment, selection, training, evaluation, and ongoing oversight of student staff
- Supervise and coordinate all openings and closings, room assignments, services, security and paperwork for area
- Oversee room furniture and key inventory systems
- Administer room assignments/changes and assist in maintaining accurate area and occupancy rosters
- Ensure maintenance issues in the assigned area are brought to the attention of the appropriate personnel
- Rotates in RLC “on-duty” schedule
- Active participation in all aspects of training residential life staff, desk staff attendants and work-study staffs
- Conduct weekly staff meeting with Resident Assistants/Moderators
- Assist in the adjudication of disciplinary cases as a hearing officer as required by the Coordinator of Student Conduct
- Coordinate the crisis response actions for Residential Life staff on serious incidents (i.e. suicide attempts/completions, deaths) that occur in the residential facilities
- Participate in orientation programs for incoming students and parents interested in Residential Life
- Establish and maintain daily rapport with student support services (Career Services, Dining Services, Counseling Center, Buildings & Grounds, Public Safety, etc.)
- Assure community building/programming by RA/Moderator staff
- Serve as an active liaison between the University administration and faculty and the student and vice versa
- Establish systematic and efficient means of communicating goals, objectives, and specific information to all constituencies
- View oneself as an important link with the campus community as well as an important part of the Residential Life Office and the Division of Student Affairs
- Assists and attends all aspects of the housing selection process
- Handles other tasks relative to residence hall management
- Assist with all aspects of Residential Life Staff selection
- Assists with central office projects and assignments
- Administer employee discipline when necessary
- Serve on assigned committees
- Proactively address all roommate issues
- Get to know residents individually by being available and accessible
- Serve as a resource person for needed referrals
- Provide personal assistance to individuals or groups as needed, including conflict mediation
- Support institutional policies guiding student behavior
- Provide academic assistance to help students succeed with their course work
- Be willing to take on additional programs and duties, which are necessary for the implementation of the Residential Life and Student Affairs goals
- Write and develop working reports when requested
- Each RLC will have additional responsibilities of collateral work in another area of Student Affairs (i.e. Campus Programs, Fraternity and Sorority Life, Career Services, Alcohol and Substance Abuse Prevention).
- Work closely with the Campus Reservations Coordinator in the assignment and management of residence hall space for the Summer Conference Program
- Participate in the hiring, training and supervision of the Summer Conference Student Facilities Managers
- Troubleshoot issues related to the Summer Conference Program in concert with the Campus Reservations Coordinator
- Participate in planning and evaluation activities related to Residential Life programs and services
- Assist in projects that support other offices inside and outside of the division of Student Engagement and Success, as agreed upon by supervisor.
Master’s degree in Student Personnel or other related field preferred, Bachelor’s Degree required, with at least one year of group living and supervisory experience as a graduate/undergraduate. Excellent communication skills are necessary for this position.
Completed application packets will include:
- Cover Letter with salary requirements
- Resume or Curriculum Vitae
- The names, titles, and contact information for three professional references
Please email application materials to: email@example.com
Application review will begin immediately and will continue until position is filled.
Ohio Wesleyan University, a private liberal arts college located 20 miles north of Columbus, in Delaware, Ohio, promotes and celebrates an inclusive environment free from constraints in areas of culture, race, sex, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, age, religion, family relationship, or economic barriers. Applications by members of all underrepresented groups are encouraged as OWU is an equal opportunity institution and has a strong commitment to supporting diversity, equity and inclusion.