Technical Support Specialist
Ohio Wesleyan University is a selective, private, undergraduate liberal arts, residential institution founded in 1842 and is located just 20 miles north of Columbus. Ohio Wesleyan University’s Information Services Department invites applications for a Technical Support Specialist, a full-time, 12-month position with full benefits.
The Technical Support Specialist provides campus-wide support and technical assistance for computer and printer problems, including: upgrades, installations, hardware and software troubleshooting. Supervised directly by the Chief Information Officer, and works with all IS staff and student employees, as well as all faculty and staff contacts; Contributes to special projects undertaken by Information Services (IS); Escalates extended problems through proper channels, keeping management informed as directed.
Essential Duties, Tasks and Responsibilities:
- Provides technical support for computer systems deployed across campus. Responds to problems reported to IS, as delegated by supervisor, or as indicated by clients. Performs hardware and software testing, troubleshooting, repairs, installations, network configurations, upgrades and replacements. Completes proper records on each task, and maintains required communication on work.
- Manages the placement of new or replacement computer systems, printers or other peripheral devices and helps to maintain inventory for all deployed computer equipment.
- Supervise student employees in day-to-day technical support of computer systems and printers. Provide on-going training to student employees in dealing with computer support issues.
- Maintains security practices and procedures for the protection, security, and privacy of all computer systems deployed on campus.
- Publishes, creates and revises documentation and training programs as relevant to faculty and staff.
- Emerging Technologies - Research new technologies, tools, methods.
Knowledge, Skills or Abilities
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Ability to use both inductive and deductive reasoning skills to assist in solving problem
- Time management skills
- Critical thinking skills
- Ability to teach and train others to operate the system(s)
- Ability to work with diverse groups and individuals
- Flexibility to adapt to changes regarding the technology needs of the department
- Detail oriented individual
Associate's Degree in CS, MIS, CST, or closely related technology field preferred. Also the experience listed below is required.
- 1 year of hardware support
- 1 year of software support
Completed application packets will include:
- Cover Letter with salary requirements,
- Resume or Curriculum Vitae
- The names, titles, & contact information for three professional references.
Please email application materials to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Application review will begin immediately and will continue until position is filled.
Ohio Wesleyan University is strongly committed to diversity within its community and encourages all interested applicants, including women and minorities, to apply (EEOE).