Working on campus

What paperwork is required?

All students must receive an Appointment Notice from their OWU employer before starting a job. New employees also must fill out state and federal tax withholding forms and complete the I-9. For the I-9, you’ll need to show original documents verifying identity and employment eligibility. For a complete list of acceptable documents visit: Students unable to provide these documents cannot work.

You can complete the I-9 Form in the Student Employment / Human Resources Department in University Hall, Room 003. Direct Deposit will be required unless you are applying your earnings toward your student account (you will need to fill out a separate form to apply your pay to your student account).

I know my Social Security Number. Do I still need to show you the original card?

Yes. Although several documents list your SSN, the original card must be presented if you are using your Social Security Number to verify employment eligibility.


Who can work on campus?

Student-workers are classified according to eligibility. If you received an award letter from the Financial Aid Office that included a Federal Work-Study award, you are a “Work-Study” student. All other students, including International Students or “Non-Work-Study” or “Institutional Work-Study” students, also may work on campus. Student employment is available only to students enrolled full time.

How many hours can I work?

Students generally work 8-10 hours per week depending on the campus job and their hours available to work. The maximum students are allowed to work is 20 hours per week.


How do I find a job?

Just like in the actual job market, student-employees will need to search for a campus job on their own. You are encouraged to speak with professors, resident advisors, and staff and administrators from various offices about job openings. Another avenue for leads is the Student Employment Postings. It’s smart to accept the first employment offer you receive to begin accruing hours as quickly as possible.

What if I don’t like my job?

You may change jobs to find one that better suits your skills or schedule. Students are limited to no more than two jobs at any one time and no more than three jobs over the course of the school year.

Is work-study guaranteed?

No. You must find a position, complete your paperwork, work the hours assigned, and submit your hours on ADP. Some students may not be able to locate employment due to schedule conflicts, etc.


What is Federal Work-Study?

The Federal Work-Study Program is funded primarily by the federal government. Federal Work-Study awards are offered as part of annual financial aid packages to students who submit the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) and demonstrate financial need based on their FAFSA Information.

What is Institutional Work-Study?

This program is funded by the University and is not based on financial need. Students who do not qualify for the Federal Work-Study program may be offered Institutional (or non-Federal Work-Study) Student Employment awards as part of their annual financial aid packages. 

What is StAP?

In addition to the governmental and institutional work-study programs mentioned, a limited number of student assistantships are available. The Student Assistantship Program (StAP) provides a monetary stipend as well as professional job experience to 40 to 50 upper-class students each semester. Most assistantships have major responsibilities, and they utilize skills that students are learning in class. New positions are added each semester through a variety of campus departments and offices.

I want to use my earnings to pay my bill. How do I do that?

If you would like all or part of your check to go toward your account, simply complete the appropriate form in your student employment new hire packet.

Do I have to report student wages on my income tax return?

Yes. Federal, state, and local income taxes will be withheld from your check based on the information you supply on tax-withholding forms. You will receive a W-2 form just as in any other position.