- 1. Attend Off-Campus Programs information session and the mandatory ROUND ONE and ROUND TWO meetings. Also seek advice from a Merrick Mentor. Round One meetings are held frequently at various times during the academic year.
- During the Round One meetings the following topics are discussed: eligibility to study away, approved programs and partner institutions, the academic framework for an approved semester away, credit and grade equivalencies, transfer of credits, billing and financial aid, costs and budgeting, and the application policies and procedures for approval for off-campus study.
- The Round Two meetings are held for those students who have been approved for off-campus study. During the Round Two meetings the following topics are discussed: course enrolment planning for on-time graduation, pre-approval process for courses to transfer back for major and minor requirements, policies and procedures for application to partner programs and institutions, billing and financial aid, costs and budgeting, planning for a return to campus and enrolment in courses for your first semester back.
- 2. Search for programs using the on-line OWU off-campus programs search and application system. (See "Programs" link at the right.) Make sure that you understand the academic and cultural contexts of the programs you are considering.
- 3. Seek out on-campus resources to assist you with making an informed decision.
- Very importantly, meet with your academic advisor to discuss your academic plans.
- Meet with Merrick Mentors to discuss the experience of studying away.
- Meet with representatives of partner programs / institutions that frequently visit campus.
- Meet with the Assistant Director of IOCP / Study Away.
- Attend Access Study Abroad meetings to learn more about external grants and scholarships and budgeting for your semester away.
- Check the OWU Student Evaluations of the programs you are considering (these are kept in the IOCP office in HWCC).
- Connect with study away alumni who have participated in the program that you are considering.
- 4. Complete the on-line OWU LEAVE APPLICATION that is part of the off-campus programs search and application system.
- Please note that your leave application requires that you submit or have submitted on your behalf a number of items including faculty recommendations, an application fee, an official transcript, etc.
- Faculty recommendations should be chosen with care and must come from faculty who have taught you in an OWU course.
- When you apply for off-campus approval using the OWU off-campus programs search and application system, you must select the specific off-campus program you wish to attend when you first apply for leave permission. You can change the program simply which you want to attend by emailing your request to change to email@example.com .
- The Leave Application questionnaire requires some personal reflection and thought -- important preliminary preparation for an off-campus semester.
- 5. After receiving permission to study off-campus and then attending a Round Two meeting, follow the instructions for moving your application on to the program you have been approved to attend. Specific directions are provided in the approval email and the forms that are distributed during the Round Two meeting. Round Two meeting times, dates and locations are given in the approval email.
- 6. Complete pre-departure activities, as set-out in the Round Two meeting, and then attend a Round Three Pre-Departure meeting (these often vary by program) and complete the pre-departure activities assigned by your program.
- 7. Attend some of the various information sessions that are offered to assist those planning their study away semester, such as Women and Study Away.
- To summarize: First attend a Round One meeting, then apply for OWU off-campus leave permission on the OWU on-line system, then get approval for off-campus leave, then attend a Round Two meeting, then apply to the program itself.
Programs that are not included in the OWU off-campus programs search and application system -- those that are not approved -- require approval by faculty committee. An "unapproved program" petition is available in the off-campus programs search and application system. Please consult with the Director if you are applying to an unapproved program.
The OWU Connection communicates through the OWU Daily. Read it carefully and regularly. Consult the Ohio Wesleyan University Catalog for further information about Off-Campus Programs policies and procedures.
All application materials MUST flow through the OWU Connection, IOCP Office at OWU. Do not apply directly to these or any other programs prior to approval from OWU.
When you apply for off-campus approval using the OWU off-campus programs search and application system, you must select the specific off-campus program you wish to attend when you first apply for leave permission. You can change the program which you want to attend by emailing your request to change to firstname.lastname@example.org .
You are required to meet with your academic advisor to discuss your off-campus plans. Some departments and programs have specific requirements for majors who will be studying away.
OWU prohibits sponsored student travel to countries with U.S. Dept. of State Level 4 Travel Advisories. OWU reviews requests for student travel to countries with U.S. Dept. of State Level 3 Travel Advisories. For more information contact email@example.com.