The Office of Multicultural Student Affairs (OMSA) at Ohio Wesleyan holistically provides support, serves as an advocate, and enhances the quality of life for students of color. We examine and challenge academic, social, personal, and cultural perspectives while positively engaging the entire campus community in quality programming and open dialogue.
Services offered in the Office of Multicultural Student Affairs include:
- Provide support on campus to students, particularly students of color. Academic, social, personal, and cultural outlets and enrichments are a few areas where it is documented that students of color need additional support.
- Create opportunities for dialogue for cross-cultural exchange and understanding.
- Collaborate with various campus offices and departments to augment student engagement through programming, one-one services, and events/activities.
- Establish continual programs such as STRIDE (Standing Together to Reduce Intolerance and Develop Equality) Brown Bag Speaker Series, the OMSA Alumni Mentoring Program, and KuShinda (to be victorious) to celebrate and highlight culture, achievement, and leadership.
- Work with faculty to enhance classroom experiences and collaborate on programs to cultivate learning outside the classroom.
- Develop leadership positions and network prospects for students of color.
- Strengthen and rejuvenate relationships with alumni and students.
- Expose students to local, regional, and national cultural events and opportunities.
Programs sponsored by the Office of Multicultural Student Affairs:
- Pre-Orientation Program
- Office of Multicultural Student Affairs Week Celebration
- Black Family and Alumni Celebration Weekend
- Alumni Mentoring Program
- Hispanic Heritage Month Celebrations
- Ohio Diversity Council Conference Participant
- Native American/American Indian Heritage Month
- Nationally renowned speakers
- Great Lakes College Association Students of Color Conference Participant
- Alliance for Black Student Leadership Consortium Participant
- Women of Color Month Celebration
- Black History Month Celebration
- STRIDE Brown Bag Speaker Series
- Asian American History Month
- Study Trip of Civil Rights Tour in Nashville and Memphis, Tennessee
- Peer Mentor Program
- Collaborative programs with academic departments
- Strand Movie Nights with OMSA Office
- We have developed innovative programs and work closely with student organizations such as Student Union on Black Awareness (SUBA), Sisters United, VIVA (Celebration of Hispanic Heritage), NPHC Greek organizations, OWU Black Alumni Network (OWUBAN), and the House of Black Culture