Ohio Wesleyan is continuing to monitor recommended public health protocols and practices to help keep people healthy.
June 1, 2021
For the past 15 months, we have looked to the Centers for Disease Control, local and state public health officials, and the science community for guidance in establishing protocols to help keep our community safe and COVID-19 at bay. Now, we will continue to follow their lead with the following revisions to our campus protocols, effective June 1.
Fully vaccinated individuals (two weeks after final vaccination) are no longer required to wear face masks or to practice social distancing while outdoors or indoors on campus. Limits on the size of gatherings have been eliminated for vaccinated individuals. Fully vaccinated employees may resume traveling domestically on OWU business.
Vaccinated faculty, staff, and students will not be required to wear masks during on-campus classes, work, or research projects.
Unvaccinated individuals must continue to wear face masks covering the nose and mouth and practice appropriate social distancing while inside (unless they are alone in their enclosed office). Masks and social distancing are not required outdoors. Unvaccinated individuals may not participate in travel for OWU-related purposes.
Unvaccinated students and faculty will be required to wear masks during in-person classes conducted indoors.
Students: If you have not yet sent us a copy of your vaccination documentation, please send that to email@example.com. Note that if you were vaccinated on-campus, we do not need to receive a copy of your documentation as we already have that record.
Employees: As we operate the University over the summer, the necessity for conducting operations in person will vary among offices. Supervisors, in consultation with their Vice President/Provost, may determine the appropriate in-person summer staffing levels for their office and inform staff accordingly.
Please note that an unvaccinated status alone is not a reason to be approved for remote working through the summer. If you need a medical accommodation related to your work status or environment, please contact Human Resources regarding approval for a medical accommodation.
Beginning August 2, OWU will resume full in-person staffing as we prepare to welcome students back to our residential campus for an entirely in-person and robust Ohio Wesleyan fall semester.
April 29, 2021
On April 27, 2021, the Centers for Disease Control (CDC) announced new guidelines regarding people who have been fully vaccinated against COVID-19. Please remember that you are "fully vaccinated" two weeks after you receive your final dose of COVID vaccine.
To follow the new CDC recommendations, we are announcing the following revisions to OWU's COVID-19 Safe Campus Guidelines.
- If you are fully vaccinated, you no longer need to wear a mask or socially distance while outdoors if you are alone or in a group of fewer than 50 people. Anyone who is unvaccinated must still wear a mask and remain 6 feet apart from others at all times while indoors or outdoors.
- If you are fully vaccinated, you will be exempted from our regular campus testing for at least 90 days - and perhaps longer pending further CDC guidance.
- If you are fully vaccinated, you will not need to quarantine if you are exposed to the virus, as long as you are asymptomatic.
The following policies are not changing at this time.
- All individuals (vaccinated and unvaccinated) must continue to wear masks and remain socially distanced while outdoors while in groups larger than 50 people and at all times indoors. (Employees may remove their mask if they are alone in their office, and students may remove their mask if they are in their room alone or only their roommate is present.)
- Group sizes when indoors must remain at 10 people or fewer.
- When eating around others indoors, you should only remove your mask while actively eating or drinking, and put your mask back on when you are not.
- Spring varsity and club athletes will continue to be tested in compliance with NCAA requirements for their sport regardless of their vaccination status.
If you are a student who has received your final COVID-19 vaccine, please send a copy of your vaccination documentation to firstname.lastname@example.org. It's important that OWU is able to know the number and percentage of students who have been vaccinated so we can determine when it is safe to adjust COVID safety guidelines.
Thank you for all you are doing to keep the campus community safe and healthy. And if you have received your COVID vaccinations, come to the information desk on the 1st floor of HWCC and pick up a Bishop "I Got My Shot" sticker!