A cash prize of $500.00 will be granted to a graduating Zoology major (or a recent graduate) who will be entering graduate school within three years of graduation from Ohio Wesleyan. The non-renewable prize will be awarded to the recipient upon evidence of her/his matriculation into graduate school in the biological sciences. The award cannot be used for a professional program such as medicine, dentistry, or veterinary medicine.
Application Procedure for the Cass-Wills Prize
Interested students should submit an application that includes the following information:
- Mailing address and telephone number
- Year of graduation (or expected graduation) from OWU
- A current unofficial transcript from OWU (If you have attended another college full-time for one or more semesters, include a transcript from that school as well.)
- Names of graduate schools and departments/programs to which you have applied. Please include the current status of the applications. Indicate either your choice of school to attend and why (if you have already made your decision) or your top two choices of schools and why you like them if the final decision is not yet made. Indicate any personal contact you have made with specific research advisors at the schools.
- State your current career plans and describe how the specific graduate program applies to these plans.
- Include a typed essay in which you comment on the value of the study of zoology to human life. Limit the essay to 700 words, please.
Please email the completed application by April 17, 2018 to Dr. Shala Hankison (email@example.com, SCSC 335).
The Zoology Department will meet as a committee to read and evaluate applications. You will be notified promptly about the decision of the committee with regard to your application.
If any aspect of the application changes between submission and the notification of the awardee (e.g., decision to attend a particular school), please notify the chairperson immediately.