INTERESTED IN A PAID SUMMER RESEARCH INTERNSHIP?
Ohio Wesleyan University will serve as a Research Experience for Undergraduates (REU) site for interdisciplinary scientific computation during the summer of 2018, continuing a tradition of excellence as a host site that began in 2007. Consider the following quote from a 2013 REU participant:
"The knowledge and connections I gained through the OWU REU program were invaluable during my undergraduate studies. Being given that first chance to work full-time on a research project gave me both the confidence and skills to continue pursuing research, and the REU program I participated in at OWU exposed me to the general field I will soon be pursuing in graduate school. Furthermore, the existence of REU programs such as the one at OWU has given me confidence that, as a young scientist, I will be supported by institutions such as the NSF." (Sylvia Morrow, Houghton College)
- Each participant will work on a research project under the guidance of an experienced Ohio Wesleyan University faculty member in either the Department of Physics and Astronomy or the Department of Mathematics and Computer Science in one of the following disciplines: astronomy, computer science, mathematics/statistics, and physics.
- REU projects are for a duration of ten weeks: MAY 21-JULY 27, 2018.
- All projects will focus on one or more aspects of scientific computation: numerical, symbolic, and data visualization. See the Project Descriptions page for a detailed list of the available research projects and mentors.
- SUPPORT: $5200 stipend (for 10 weeks), free housing, travel funds up to $500 to get to/from the OWU campus, and a $500 food allowance at the beginning of the program. Funds will also be available to help support travel to conferences after the program.
- ELIGIBILITY: Applicants must be U.S. citizens or permanent residents and must be an undergraduate student enrolled in a degree program (part-time or full-time) leading to a baccalaureate or associate degree.
- Preference will be given to students with limited research opportunities at their home institutions.
- UNDERREPRESENTED MINORITIES AND WOMEN ARE ESPECIALLY ENCOURAGED TO APPLY.
- HOW TO APPLY: Start by filling out the online application.
- Have someone who knows well your academic capabilities and your research potential write a letter of recommendation on your behalf. Have that person email the letter to Ms. Kathy Boger at email@example.com.
- Email a copy of your undergraduate transcript (an unofficial copy is acceptable) to Ms. Kathy Boger at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Please direct all questions about the application process or our REU program in general to Dr. Robert Haring-Kaye at email@example.com.
- REVIEW OF APPLICATIONS will begin on March 5, 2018 and will continue until all positions are filled. We anticipate hiring 7 participants.
2018 REU Program Flyer (PDF)
This material is based upon work supported by the National Science Foundation (NSF). Any opinions, findings and conclusions or recommendations expressed in this material are those of the author(s) and do not necessarily reflect the views of the NSF.