INTERESTED IN A PAID SUMMER RESEARCH INTERNSHIP?
Pending funding from the National Science Foundation, Ohio Wesleyan University will serve as a Research Experience for Undergraduates (REU) site for the summers of 2016-2018. Consider the following quote from a 2011 REU participant:
"The REU program was a exceptional introduction to research. It was exciting to be engaged in modern scientific inquiry and be challenged under the excellent guidance of the faculty mentors. I came away with an improved set of skills in problem solving, computational technique, and professional communication of ideas, as well as a renewed appreciation for the wonderful insights of physics." (Ma`ayan Dagan, Oberlin College)
- Each participant will work on a research project under the guidance of an experienced Ohio Wesleyan University faculty member in either the Department of Physics and Astronomy or the Department of Mathematics and Computer Science in one of the following disciplines: astronomy, computer science, mathematics/statistics, neuroscience, and physics.
- REU projects are for a duration of ten weeks: MAY 16-JULY 21, 2016.
- All projects will focus on one or more aspects of scientific computation: numerical, symbolic, and data visualization. See the Project Descriptions page for a detailed list of the available research projects and mentors.
- SUPPORT: $5200 (for 10 weeks), $750 food allowance (paid at beginning of program), free housing, travel funds up to $600 to get to/from the OWU campus.
- ELIGIBILITY:Applicants must be U.S. citizens or permanent residents and must be full-time undergraduate students.
- Preference will be given to students with limited research opportunities at their home institutions.
- MINORITIES AND WOMEN ARE ESPECIALLY ENCOURAGED TO APPLY.
- HOW TO APPLY: Start by filling out the online application.
- Have someone who knows well your academic capabilities and your research potential write a letter of recommendation on your behalf. Have that person email the letter to Ms. Kathy Boger at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Email a copy of your undergraduate transcript (an unofficial copy is acceptable) to Ms. Kathy Boger at email@example.com.
- REVIEW OF APPLICATIONS will begin February 29, 2016 and will continue until all positions are filled. We have funding for up to 8 undergraduates.
2016 REU Program Flyer (PDF)
This material is based upon work supported by the National Science Foundation under Grant No. 1262850. Any opinions, findings and conclusions or recommendations expressed in this material are those of the author(s) and do not necessarily reflect the views of the National Science Foundation (NSF).