Each of us in the OWU community has a great responsibility. If we follow campus guidelines and act with care and empathy, we can create a campus environment where OWU students, faculty, and staff can work, study, live, learn, and interact in ways that fulfill our educational mission and protect the health, safety, and well-being of us all.
The ongoing COVID-19 pandemic challenges us. Can we recreate a vibrant OWU campus for learning and living while protecting the individuals in our community from the coronavirus?
To create the framework for this new campus life, OWU's Safe Campus Opening Task Force developed the Safe Opening Plan in consultation with public health experts in Delaware County and at The Ohio State University, and with reference to state/federal guidance and emerging industry standards. The plan addresses how OWU will return to campus, monitor individuals' health, contain the virus if it's detected, and prepare plans for major changes if they are needed.
The plan is explained in this website.
However, this plan will work only as well as we all make it work. Any weak link can put the campus at risk. Each of us – students, faculty, staff, visitors – is responsible for the health of everyone around us. The following mnemonic can help us all remember our day-to-day responsibilities.
Watch August 4 & 5 Information Forums for Students & Parents
Click on the links below to watch online information forums with OWU faculty and administrators. They answer questions about fall 2020, in-person and online classes, advising, face masks, COVID-19 testing, move-in procedures, and more.
If you have technical difficulty with these videos, try watching on the OWU YouTube Channel.
Our Bishop Responsibilities – We Are OWU
Wear your face covering
Evaluate your health daily
Avoid unnecessary travel
Remain six feet apart
Engage your peers in protecting our community
Observe university group size limits
Wash your hands frequently
WE ARE OWU Pledge
All students, faculty, and staff who will be learning or working on campus are asked to make the following commitment to keep our community healthy:
Protecting the health and safety of our OWU and local Delaware community is the responsibility of every member of the community. I recognize that my actions and choices have a significant health impact on others around me and can contribute to the success of the 2020-2021 academic year. With this understanding, I commit to the following for the benefit of myself and my community:
- I will put the health of others first, recognizing that others may have more vulnerable health conditions than I have.
- I will follow all university COVID-19 safety requirements, including wearing face coverings, washing and sanitizing my hands frequently, maintaining six feet between individuals, and not being in unauthorized groups larger than 50 people.
- I will monitor myself daily for the symptoms of COVID-19. If displaying symptoms such as fever of 100.4 F (38 C) or higher, dry cough, difficulty breathing, chills, repeated shaking with chills, muscle pain, headache, sore throat, or loss of taste or smell, I will immediately report these symptoms to the Student Health Center (for students) or the Human Resources Office (for employees), provide them approval to share the information with necessary university officials, and avoid contact with other members of the community.
- I will comply with testing protocols established by the university and will cooperate fully with contact tracing efforts and any necessary quarantine and isolation procedures.
- I will discourage unsafe and unsanitary behaviors in others when I see them. Options I have to discourage such behaviors include speaking with the individual with whom I have a concern and/or notifying resident advisors, my supervisor, or Public Safety.
- I will be kind to others, particularly when they remind me of safety protocols or when I am reminding others of them.
Explore the Safe Campus Guide
- OWU Expectations
- Academic Dates & Learning Guidelines
Academic Calendar Changes | Remote Learning Approvals | Travel Limitations
- Students Returning to Campus
Residence Hall Move-In | Facility Preparation | Universal Viral Testing
- Faculty & Staff: Safe Work Guidelines
Policies and Protocols for All Employees | Workspace Cleaning | Communication | Limits on Campus Events and Group Sizes | Travel Limitations | Contact Tracing | Visit Guidelines | Faculty-Specific Guidelines | Staff-Specific Guidelines
- Monitoring Your Health
Daily Self-Assessments | Ongoing Viral Testing | Isolation and Quarantine
- Daily Campus Life
Physical Distancing and Face Coverings | Facility Safety Measures | Dining Safety | Residential Living | Limits on Campus Events and Group Sizes | Travel Limitations | Contact Tracing | Transportation Protocols
- Safe Athletics
- Campus Visitor Guidelines