Delaware, OH 43015
Director of Athletics
The Battling Bishop men’s and women’s track & field teams host outdoor meets on the George Gauthier Track, inside Selby Stadium on South Henry Street on the eastern edge of campus.
The all-weather George Gauthier Track is an Ameritan FP surface completed for the 2006-07 academic year. As part of the track project, a second shot put area was installed, as were new areas for the long and triple jumps on the east side of the visitors’ grandstand. Selby Stadium and the George Gauthier Track hosted the NCAA Division III outdoor track & field championships in 2011 and 2014.
The site of 20 of the first 32 NCAC outdoor track & field championships, Selby is believed to be the oldest facility in the nation constructed to Olympic specifications and remaining in its original configuration.
Gauthier served as Ohio Wesleyan’s athletics director from 1921-55. He was the Battling Bishops’ football coach from 1921-46, the Bishops’ men’s track & field coach from 1922-55, and the men’s cross country coach from 1955-58.
Selby Stadium, built in 1929, was designed by Gauthier and named after George D. Selby, who served the Ohio Wesleyan board of trustees for 24 years. Selby Stadium received lights for the 2010-11 academic year and serves as home of the Bishop football, field hockey and men's and women's lacrosse teams.
Prior to 1929, the Bishops hosted home meets at Edwards Field, the site of today’s Branch Rickey Center, which includes the Gordon Field House.