The 2024 Bishop Backers Winter Community Day and Delaware Expo will be held Feb. 17 with a Battling Bishops men's and women's basketball doubleheader in Branch Rickey Arena, 105 S. Sandusky St., Delaware, Ohio.
As always, admission to the games will be free with a canned food donation to support the Delaware County Hunger Alliance, a United Way of Delaware County initiative.
The day also will include a Delaware Expo in the adjacent Gordon Field House that showcases local nonprofit organizations and businesses.
Organizations wishing to have a table at the Delaware Expo are asked to register online now. Tables are $25 for for-profit businesses if paid at the time of registration or $30 (cash only) if paid on the day of the event. Tables are free for nonprofit organizations. The registration deadline for both groups is Jan. 31, 2024.
During the family-friendly Bishop Backers event, the OWU women’s team will take on the Tigers of Wittenberg University, and the men’s team will battle the Yeomen of Oberlin College. It will be senior day for both teams. The women’s game will tip off at 1 p.m., and the men’s game will follow at 3 p.m.
- The Delaware Expo will be open from noon to 3 p.m. and will feature:
- A children’s play area courtesy of the Delaware Community Center YMCA.
- A visit from Columbus Zoo and Aquarium animal ambassadors.
- A chance to explore the Delaware Fire Department’s inflatable fire safety house with giveaway helmets and stickers for children.
- An opportunity to learn about CPR from Delaware EMTs.
- An opportunity to visit with dogs from the Humane Society of Delaware County.
- A chance to meet Battling Bishop varsity athletes.
- A free raffle for a big-screen television and 50/50 raffles to benefit the Hunger Alliance. (Open to those 18 and older.)
Community Day is intended to bring people together for a free afternoon of entertainment and education, building on the strong sense of cooperation and collaboration that makes Delaware such a great community. The expo also will help businesses and nonprofit organizations to connect with potential customers and volunteers, including Ohio Wesleyan students and alumni.
Learn more at www.owu.edu/BishopBackers.