Ohio Wesleyan’s Perkins Observatory Offers Yearlong 2020 Astronomy Mini-Course
DELAWARE, Ohio – If you are curious about the latest astronomical updates and stargazing scoops, Ohio Wesleyan University’s Perkins Observatory has some out-of-this-world news for you.
Each month in 2020, Perkins Observatory, 3199 Columbus Pike (U.S. 23), will host a Thursday night “New Vistas in Astronomy” discussion. Experts from Ohio Wesleyan and The Ohio State University will share the latest space-related news and research during the mini-course, which is geared toward adults.
Lecture attendees also will be able to observe celestial bodies through the observatory’s 32-inch Schottland reflecting telescope, sky conditions permitting. Cost for the New Vistas series is $80 for the full, yearlong course. To purchase tickets, visit www.owu.edu/PerkinsNewVistas or call the observatory at (740) 363-1257.
Here is the list of upcoming speakers and topics for the 2020 lecture series. All talks will begin at 8 p.m. at the observatory.
- Jan. 23 – “Extraterrestrial Lives: Phosphorus” by Sultana Nahar
- Feb. 13 – “Why Do People Believe Nonsensical Things about the Universe?” by Don Terndrup
- March 12 – “The Habitable Exoplanet Observatory” by Scott Gaudi
- April 9 – “Willy Fowler & the Nucleus of Carbon” by Jennifer Johnson
- May 14 – “Gas Beyond Galaxies” by David Weinberg
- June 11 – “Breadcrumbs in the Lyman Alpha Forest” by Paul Martini
- July 16 – “Welcome Our New Robot Masters: a Robotic Fiber Positioner System for Sloan Digital Sky Survey V” by Rick Pogge
- Aug. 13 – “Intensity Mapping the Multiwavelength” by Sky Yi-Kuan Chiang
- Sept. 10 – “Einstein, Friedmann, and the Expanding Universe Smackdown” by Barbara Ryden
- Oct. 8 – To be announced
- Nov. 12 – To be announced
- Dec. 10 – To be announced
In addition to the monthly New Vistas discussions, Perkins Observatory also holds sky watches on most Friday nights. Content varies based on sky conditions, but the weekly events may include a planetarium show, observatory tours, and star gazing. Advance tickets are $10 in advance and $12 at the door. Many of these events sell out, so reservations are required. For a full list of dates and ticket availability, visit www.owu.edu/perkins or call (740) 363-1257.
Founded in 1842, Ohio Wesleyan University is one of the nation’s premier liberal arts universities. Located in Delaware, Ohio, the private university offers more than 90 undergraduate majors and competes in 25 NCAA Division III varsity sports. Through Ohio Wesleyan’s signature OWU Connection program, students integrate knowledge across disciplines, build a diverse and global perspective, and apply their knowledge in real-world settings. Ohio Wesleyan is featured in the book “Colleges That Change Lives” and included in the U.S. News & World Report and Princeton Review “best colleges” lists. Learn more at www.owu.edu.