DELAWARE, Ohio – Ohio Wesleyan University today announced its December 2016 lineup of public events. Unless otherwise noted, admission is free. For the latest OWU event information, visit www.owu.edu/calendar or “like” www.facebook.com/OhioWesleyanUniversityNews. For a schedule of Battling Bishop athletics, visit www.battlingbishops.com.
Now through Dec. 15 – Ohio Wesleyan’s Richard M. Ross Art Museum features three concurrent exhibitions:
- The Ohio Designer Craftsmen’s 33rd annual juried member exhibition, “The Best of 2016,” showcasing works of clay, glass, fiber, metal, wood, and mixed media, in the Kuhlman and Mayhew galleries. Learn more at ohiocraft.org.
- “Machine Wall Drawing,” an installation of three drawing machines designed and built by artist Tristan Perich, in the Humphreys Gallery. Perich’s machines create drawings using the precision of computer code coupled with the randomness of the physical environment, such as the ripple of the string attaching the pen to the machine’s motor. Learn more at tristanperich.com. His exhibit is part of the university’s 2016-2017 Sagan National Colloquium, focusing on the growing importance of “Data in Our Lives.” Learn more at www.owu.edu/snc.
- “Two by Two: Photographic Conversations,” an exhibition of images donated or directed to the museum by Raymond Merritt, emeriti member of the museum’s National Board of Advisors, in the West Gallery.
During the academic year, the Ross Art Museum, 60 S. Sandusky St., Delaware, is open Tuesday, Wednesday, and Friday from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m.; Thursday from 10 a.m. to 9 p.m.; and Sunday from 1 p.m. to 5 p.m. (It will be closed Nov. 19-28 for Thanksgiving break and Dec. 16-Jan. 17, 2017, for winter break.) The museum is handicap-accessible and admission is always free. Call (740) 368-3606 or visit www.owu.edu/ross for more information.
3:15 p.m. Dec. 1 – OWU music recital featuring student-written compositions, in Gray Chapel inside University Hall, 61 S. Sandusky St., Delaware. Admission is free. Learn more at www.owu.edu/music.
8 p.m. Dec. 2-3 – “One Act Plays” presented by Ohio Wesleyan’s directing and playwriting classes with student-directors and playwrights sharing works that are surprising, varied, and full of fresh talent and energy. Their performances will be held on the Main Stage inside Chappelear Drama Center, 45 Rowland Ave., Delaware. This event may contain adult themes and language. Admission is free. For more information, visit www.owu.edu/TheatreAndDance.
8 p.m. Dec. 2, 9, and 16 – Evening programs at Ohio Wesleyan’s Perkins Observatory, 3199 Columbus Pike (U.S. 23), Delaware. Content varies based on sky conditions but may include a planetarium show, observatory tours, and stargazing with the 32-inch Schottland Telescope. (Programs will not be held Dec. 23 or Dec. 30.) Advance tickets are $10 for adults, and $8 for children and senior citizens. Reserve tickets by calling (740) 363-1257. Learn more at www.owu.edu/perkins.
2 p.m. Dec. 4 – Ohio Wesleyan Fall Dance Showcase, in the Jannuzi Dance Studio inside Simpson Querrey Fitness Center, 105 S. Sandusky St., Delaware, Ohio. Admission is free. For more information, visit www.owu.edu/TheatreAndDance.
3:15 p.m. Dec. 4 – Ohio Wesleyan Choral Art Society concert, conducted by associate professor Jason Hiester, in Gray Chapel inside University Hall, 61 S. Sandusky St., Delaware. Admission is free. Learn more at www.owu.edu/music.
7 p.m. Dec. 5 – “Lessons and Carols,” featuring a program of choral music and scripture for Advent and Christmas, presented by the Ohio Wesleyan Choral Arts Society, directed by faculty member Jason Hiester, with the choirs of Linworth United Methodist Church, Buckeye Valley High School, and Thomas Worthington High School. The program will include opportunities for the audience to sing traditional carols with choirs, brass, and organ. “Lessons and Carols” will be held in Gray Chapel inside University Hall, 61 S. Sandusky St., Delaware. Admission is free. Learn more at www.owu.edu/music.
Dec. 29 and Dec. 30 – OWU Women’s Basketball Bishop Classic/Hoops for Hope, in Branch Rickey Arena, 105 S. Sandusky St., Delaware. Admission to all Hoops for Hope tournament games is free, but monetary contributions will be accepted to benefit the Kay Yow/WBCA Cancer Fund®, which supports breast cancer awareness, education, and research. Learn more at www.battlingbishops.com.
- 6 p.m. Dec. 29 – Ohio Wesleyan vs. Goucher
- 8 p.m. Dec. 29 – Kalamazoo vs. Rochester
- 1 p.m. Dec. 30 – Hoops for Hope consolation game
- 3 p.m. Dec. 30 – Hoops for Hope championship game
Founded in 1842, Ohio Wesleyan University is one of the nation’s premier liberal arts universities. Located in Delaware, Ohio, the private university offers nearly 90 undergraduate majors and competes in 23 NCAA Division III varsity sports. Through Ohio Wesleyan’s signature OWU Connection program, students integrate knowledge across disciplines, build a diverse and global perspective, and apply their knowledge in real-world settings. Ohio Wesleyan is featured in the book “Colleges That Change Lives,” listed on the latest President’s Higher Education Community Service Honor Roll with Distinction, and included in the U.S. News & World Report and Princeton Review “best colleges” lists. Learn more at www.owu.edu.