What’s the difference between Credit/no Entry and Pass/Fail?

At colleges and universities that offer pass/fail grading, students’ transcripts do not show the letter grade for a class when it is taken pass/fail. Instead, passing grades are shown as P, and failing grades are shown as F. Ohio Wesleyan does not offer pass/fail grading. Instead, we offer credit/no entry grading. In credit / no entry grading, course grades of A+ through C- show up on your transcript as “S” for satisfactory. The course credit counts toward graduation, but the grade does not count toward your GPA. When the grade earned is D+ through F, the course is not shown on your transcript at all. You earn no credit toward graduation, and the course does not count toward your GPA.

Here is a handy chart to show how grades will show up on your transcript when you select credit / no entry grading for a course:

Grade From Instructor Credit Toward Graduation What Shows on Transcript
A+ Yes S
A Yes S
A- Yes S
B+ Yes S
B Yes S
B- Yes S
C+ Yes S
C Yes S
C- Yes S
D+ No Nothing
D No Nothing
D- No Nothing
F No Nothing

Why did OWU choose Credit/no Entry instead of Pass/Fail?

OWU does not offer pass/fail grading. Moreover, we decided that our existing Credit/no Entry option would better serve our students because it would mean that if you weren’t able to pass a course, it couldn’t be held against you on your transcript.

How do I select this option?

After final grades are submitted, you will be able to use a secured web form to select the courses for which you would like to elect the Credit / No-Entry option. There will be no need to submit any paperwork to any office. Please do not email the Registrar to request this option.

Why would I want to take this option?

We recognize that you didn’t sign up to do remote learning, and COVID-19 has created an incredibly stressful environment in which to learn. You may not have good access to the internet or sufficient time to devote to your studies. Or it may just be too difficult to concentrate given everything else going on in your lives. This option allows students to continue earning credits toward their degrees without letting the unusual circumstances of Spring 2020 interfere with their GPAs.

Why wouldn’t I want to take this option?

Some graduate schools might require a specific grade in a specific course (see below). Or you may be doing really well in a course and want the grade. Don’t worry; you can continue to receive grades in all your courses, if you choose.

What happens if I get Ds or Fs in all my courses?

If you choose this option and do NOT receive credit for multiple courses, you may fall behind in academic credits. Falling too far behind in academic credits may impact your eligibility for future financial aid and could delay your progress toward graduation.

Can seniors take this option?

Yes. However, graduating seniors should speak with their advisors to make sure that they are still on track to receive the 34 units needed for graduation. Graduating seniors who receive a grade in the D range should be particularly careful NOT to select the Credit / No-Entry option if they need the course to graduate in May. Students working to meet the minimum cumulative GPA for graduation should also discuss the option with their advisors before selecting it.

How will this affect my GPA?

Courses taken Credit / No-Entry do not count toward in your GPA. All you will see is an S on your transcript if you passed the course with a C- or better. If you received less than a C-, no record of the course will show up on your transcript.

Can courses taken Credit / No-Entry count toward my major or minor? What about distribution requirements, foreign language requirements, or ENG 105?

For this semester ONLY, courses taken Credit / No-Entry can count toward your requirements. Normally, courses taken Credit / No-Entry cannot count toward majors, distribution requirements, foreign language requirements and ENG 105. However, OWU is waiving this restriction for Spring 2020 courses in recognition of our extraordinary circumstances.

What if I’ve already taken 4 courses Credit / No-Entry?

Courses taken this semester will not count against the 4 unit limit on Credit / No-Entry courses.

Will courses taken Credit / No-Entry fulfill prerequisites?


What if I need a grade for graduate school?

Under certain circumstances students may be required to submit a standard letter grade as part of an application process. The Office of the Registrar will maintain a record of the standard letter grade submitted by the faculty prior to converting it to Credit / No-Entry. Students can request that this grade is provided in the event it is required to apply to graduate school. However, the transcript will not be updated to include the standard letter grade if the student chooses the Credit / No-Entry option.

What happens if I get a D+/D/D-?

If you receive a grade in the D range and elect this option, that course will be removed from your transcript. You should NOT choose this option if you need the unit to graduate in May or to maintain Satisfactory Academic Progress for financial aid. You should discuss your options with your advisor or with the staff in the Financial Aid office if you find yourself in this position.

What if I am retaking a course to raise my grade? Can I take the Credit / No-Entry option?

As per the OWU Catalog: “Students who repeat a course by taking that course on a Credit / No-Entry basis the second time will have their record adjusted in the following way. If credit is earned the second time, the initial grade will be removed from the average only if that grade is D+ or lower.”

What if I am on academic probation?

Students on academic probation attempting to raise their cumulative GPA should work with their faculty advisor to determine if they should take this option. More information about academic probation and dismissals will be forthcoming.



Office of the Registrar
University Hall 007
61 S. Sandusky St.
Delaware, OH 43015
P 740-368-3200
F 740-368-3210
E registrar@owu.edu

Office Hours

M-F   8:30 a.m.-12:30 p.m., 1:30-5 p.m.