We are proud to recognize the outstanding support of our loyal alumni, parents, and friends.
In recognition of gifts to the Ohio Wesleyan Annual Giving Program funds, we provide increased levels of engagement opportunities with each giving society. We invite you to increase your gift to the next giving level.
The 1842 Society
Honoring the year OWU was founded, the 1842 Society provides special recognition to alumni, parents, and friends who give $1,842 or more during the year to the Annual Giving Program funds. The year 1842 was chosen to mark the founding of OWU and to recognize the uncommon loyalty, sacrifice, and commitment of alumni and friends to the university since our founding.
Donors who contribute $1,842 or more annually are members of the 1842 Society.
Young Alumni (Classes of 2014-2023) may join the 1842 Society by making gifts at the following levels:
- 0-5 years post-graduation: $18.42/month ($221.04/year)
- 6-10 years post-graduation: $42 /month ($504/year)
As a member of the 1842 Society, you receive:
- Access to annual 1842 Society invitation-only events with university leaders
- Exclusive 1842 Society communications and offerings
- Advance access to select university communications
The Loyal Bishops Society
Donors who support one of Ohio Wesleyan's Annual Giving Programs for at least three consecutive fiscal years—no matter the gift size—will be welcomed into the Society. Donors who choose to set up recurring gifts for the same period are invited as well. The Society recognizes alumni, parents, and friends who demonstrate leadership through their sustained support of the University.
Through their loyal support, this new community of donors sustains Ohio Wesleyan's ultimate purpose of equipping students with knowledge, competence, and character for leadership, service, and continued learning in a complex and increasingly global society.
Gray Chapel Guild
Donors who contribute $50,000 annually are members of the Gray Chapel Guild, named after University Hall’s Gray Chapel, dedicated in 1893. Over the years, Gray Chapel has been a place where students, faculty, alumni, parents, and friends have come together to celebrate, learn, and worship. Gray Chapel stands strong today as a reminder that our bond as members of the Ohio Wesleyan community is solid and lasting.
The Herman Shipps Circle
To countless students, alumni, and townspeople, Herman “Rusty” Shipps, class of 1913, was a lifelong friend. It was from his vision for OWU that the Ohio Wesleyan Fund was initiated in 1926. During his 38 years on the OWU staff, Mr. Shipps served as admissions director, founder and editor of the Ohio Wesleyan Magazine, and vice president and director of university relations.
Donors who contribute $25,000 annually are members of the Herman Shipps Circle.
The Mary Monnett Society
Mary Monnett was still a student in 1857 when she offered trustees $10,000 to complete the construction of a residence hall for women. For more than a century after her graduation, the magnificent residence known as Monnett Hall stood in tribute to this remarkable young woman and her historic gift. Although it was razed in 1978, Monnett Hall artifacts remain on display in the Mowry Alumni Center on campus.
Donors who contribute $10,000 annually are members of the Mary Monnett Society.
The Founders Society
In the early 1840s, Charles Elliott, Adam Poe, Edward Thomson, and Joseph Trimble worked steadfastly to gain support for the establishment of a college in Delaware. Thanks to their diligence and the generous support of local citizens, Ohio Wesleyan was chartered on March 7, 1842. The Mansion House Hotel, once a famous resort, became the new university’s first building, Elliott Hall.
Donors who contribute $5,000 annually are members of The Founders Society.
The Adam Poe Club
Of OWU’s four founders, one individual believed so strongly in his vision of a new college that he went far and wide on horseback seeking support for his dream. Ultimately, Adam Poe went $500 into debt— an enormous sum at the time of the university’s founding—to help purchase the land on which OWU still stands.
Donors who contribute $500 annually are members of The Adam Poe Club.
The University Club
When college classes began at OWU for the first time in 1844, the university consisted of four teachers, 18 students, and a single building. Today, OWU enrolls students from around the world, draws faculty scholars from top graduate programs across the country, and maintains 60-plus buildings on a spacious 200-acre campus.
Donors who contribute $250 annually are members of The University Club.
The Century Club
In 1937, in preparation for OWU’s 1942 centennial celebration, alumni leaders established a giving club to commemorate the university’s first 100 years.
Donors who contribute $100 annually are members of The Century Club.