Application Process Overview

Travel learning courses consist of a 1 or 1.25 credit Parent Course combined with a .25 credit Travel Component. Travel-Learning Courses are applied for on an annual basis, for the following academic year. If the Parent Course is not already in the catalog, the instructor, with approval from the academic department/program, will need to submit a proposal to the Academic Policy Committee to add the course as a temporary addition to the catalog.

The deadline for proposing a course for the 2017-2018 academic year is 4 p.m. on Monday, January 9, 2017.

A complete travel-learning proposal consists of three parts:

  1. A completed Summary Information Page and Narrative (Word), which describes the parent course and the travel goals
  2. A budget worksheet (see below)
  3. Information from the Department Chair (Word)

Budgeting Guidance

  • The Travel Budget Note Sheets (Word) may be helpful in planning your day-to-day student costs. They were designed to be printed and used in the initial stages of planning/budgeting.
  • Budgeting is simpler and more predictable if you use a “Travel Services Provider” (TSP). Using a TSP also minimizes institutional financial risk. Contact the International and Off-Campus Programming Office for a TSP referral.
  • The files TLC Budget Worksheets – Courses Using TSP (Excel) and TLC Budget Worksheets – Courses Not Using TSP (Excel) have two sheets. The first is for figuring the per-traveler cost and the second for figuring the over-all course travel costs. The total per-traveler cost is carried over to the total course budget sheet. These may be adapted to individual needs. You need a budget with estimated per person costs as part of your proposal. Then, when classes are accepted and once final numbers of students are known, you will need to submit a revised budget.
  • For converting foreign currency into US dollars, you use an on-line currency converter such as . When converting to US Dollars make sure you use the interbank rate +2 % or 3%—this can be done by using the drop-down menu immediately under "the currency I want" box.
  • For courses traveling after graduation in May, students will not be charged for staying in residence through the day after graduation (the "senior move-out" day).  The standard rate will be charged for each night that they stay on-campus after this, starting Sunday.  Students must follow the instructions Residential Life gives them about registering their departure.  It is best to have May travel commence the day after graduation, if possible; if departure must be later than this, please consult Darrell.

Contact Darrell Albon if you have questions – email or call ext. 3070 during office hours (generally 7:30AM to 5:30PM) or call 614-579-5398 at night or the weekends.

Once Your Course Is Selected

If the class you are proposing is not currently in the catalog, at that point you will also need to fill out the Temporary Course Proposal (Word) form.

All Travel-Learning Courses will include a .25 unit Travel Component section* (for example, the Travel Component section associated with ASTR 110 is ASTR 110 TL). Students will register for this additional course in addition to registering for the Parent Course. All accepted classes will need to fill out the Travel Component Proposal Form (Word).

Because of the extraordinary issues involved in traveling with students, there are many practical reasons for requiring the separation of the .25-unit Travel Component’s credits from the Parent Course’s. These include:

  • Seniors traveling in May cannot graduate if a full-unit Parent Course's grade is outstanding
  • Separating the Travel Component from the class allows a student who is unable to travel due to unforeseen circumstances (health, finances, etc.) to still receive fair credit for work completed during the semester—they can drop or withdraw from the .25
  • Separating the Travel Component allows faculty to fail students for the .25-unit course in case of misbehavior, failure to participate while traveling, or other breaches of rules/conduct
  • Separating the .25-unit Travel Component allows faculty the opportunity to grade travel on an S/U basis, which can alleviate parts of student anxiety about situations where we are asking them to take larger academic or social risks.

If there is a compelling reason that your class should not include a separate .25-unit Travel Component, or why the grade for the full class should include the travel, you may make a case for that in your initial proposal.