Phokeng Motsoasele Dailey
Assistant Professor of Communication, Department Chair
- B.Sc., Education, Ohio Dominican University
- M.A., Communication, The Ohio State University
- Ph.D., Communication, The Ohio State University (Specializations: Health Communication; Interdisciplinary Global Health)
Dr. Dailey is the current Chair of the Communication & Journalism Department at Ohio Wesleyan University. She teaches courses for the Communication and Public Health majors, which include Health Communication, Blackness and the Body in Science & Medicine, Communication Theory and Media Effects & Society. She is also a faculty member in OWU's Summer Bridge Program where she co-teaches a course on the intersection between health, capitalism, and Black activism/hip-hop music. She serves on the University's DEI Council and Institutional Review Board (IRB).
Dr. Dailey's research focuses on health disparities among immigrant, refugee, and other historically minoritized populations in the areas of sexually transmitted infection (STI) and cancer prevention--with an emphasis on assessing the role of mass media, interpersonal communication, and social identity in health decision-making.
Prior to making the decision to enter the academy, Dr. Dailey worked in visual merchandising and has technical experience with copywriting, and the use of emerging technologies in creative messaging and/or corporate branding.
Selected Publications / Presentations
- DAILEY, P.M. (2022). Decolonizing Health Messaging - A challenge for public health communication. Durban University of Technology (DUT). Office of the Deputy Vice Chancellor: Research, Innovation, and Engagement, Durban, South Africa.
- DAILEY, P. M. (2021). TV’s Black women medical professionals: Sapphires & mammies with a stethoscope. In L.T. Brackett (Ed) Working While Black: Essays on Television Portrayals of African American Professionals. McFarland Press.
- DAILEY, P.M. (2021). Higher Education: A Response to a Pandemic. TSG
Conversations: Educators. https://www.tsgadvice.com/tsg-conversations-episodes/phokengdailey
- DAILEY, P.M. (2019). He Calls Them Vermin and Rodents: Metaphoric Language in Political Communication. i³ Lecture Series, Ohio Wesleyan University. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x6Ly-xSSydg
- DAILEY, P. M., & Krieger, J. L. (2015). Communication and US-Somali immigrant human papillomavirus (HPV) vaccine decision-making. Journal of Cancer Education, 32(3), 516-521. doi: 10.1007/s13187-015-0959-0
For more information about Phokeng Dailey, view her Curriculum Vitae.