Kappa Delta Pi is the Education Honorary. The alpha alpha chapter at Ohio Wesleyan was founded in 1923. The mission of the alpha alpha Chapter is to promote scholarship, improvement in teaching, and promote a sense of community in the education department.
Society Ideals: Fidelity to Humanity, Science, Service, Toil
Society Motto: Knowledge-Duty-Power. So to teach that our words inspire a will to learn; so to serve that each day may enhance the growth of exploring minds; so to live that we may guide young and old to know the truth and love the right. To the fulfillment of these objectives, we pledge our efforts and our faith.
Society Flower: The violet
Society Colors: Green and violet
Membership in Kappa Delta Pi is by invitation. To be considered for membership, a student must meet these criteria:
- Be enrolled in an institution offering an education degree and have the intent to continue academically and professionally in the field of education;
- completed at least 30 hours of course work; have at least 12 credit hours in education course work programmed, in progress, or completed;
- cumulative GPA of 3.0 or greater for an undergrad; 3.2 graduate student;
- demonstrate leadership attributes;
- receive an invitation to membership from the chapter at the college currently attending.
Invitations for membership are sent to qualifying students during the spring semester. Interested invitees must complete the required paperwork and return it to the department secretary with the initiation fee by the requested date. The Initiation Ceremony takes place during the spring semester.
Members have the responsibility as a recognized honor student and honored educator to maintain the high ideals of the Society and to extend its influence. Modeling the behaviors and attitudes appropriate to the honor bestowed upon members are ways to contribute positively to the chapter and the profession.
Upon acceptance, a student is a member for life; however, active membership is maintained through the payment of annual dues.
Kappa Delta Pi, International Honor Society in Education, was founded in 1911. Kappa Delta Pi is an honor society of, about, and for educators. Active KDP members are eligible for KDP publications, scholarships, beginning teacher resources, professional networking contacts, job fairs, leadership opportunities, and additional membership benefits.