All new international students must demonstrate sufficient English language ability to study at Ohio Wesleyan University by meeting one of the options below.
- The University reserves the right to require additional English language instruction, if needed, upon arrival. See our English Language Support.
- Students who have a lower level of English proficiency should still apply. Your application will be evaluated and if you are accepted, you may be required to attend one or two credit-bearing English support courses your first semester.
- You may self-report the scores but we will require official ones at the enrollment stage.
- TOEFL Internet Based exam (iBT) or iBT Paper: A score of 79 or higher.
- TOEFL Essentials: A score of 8.0 or higher.
- SAT: A score of 550 or higher on the evidence-based reading and writing section of the SAT I.
- IELTS: A score of 6.5 or higher. You can email the Test Report Form Number at the bottom of the form instead of sending an official report directly from IELTS.
- Duolingo English Test: A score of 110 or higher. The Duolingo English Test is an online English proficiency test that can be taken online, on-demand, in under an hour for only US$49. The test is taken via a computer with a camera and includes a proficiency score, video interview, and writing sample which are shared with Ohio Wesleyan when you send your results. Certified results are available within 48 hours of the test session.
- iTEP: 3.7 or higher
- PTE Academic: 53 or higher
- Michigan Test - MET: 61 or higher, MELAB 91 or higher
- English speaking country
You are originally from an English speaking country listed below and the primary language of instruction is English.
- English as a second Language
English is your second language but you have attended a secondary school in an English speaking country listed below for at least four years.
- IB Programs/O or A Levels/Other External Exams
Applicants who have completed or are pursuing a full IB diploma in English or have received at least a 5 in the English exam can receive the English proficiency waiver. Also, for applicants who have taken or are studying for O or A Level exams, we will also waive the English proficiency requirement. We will review other External Exam results (such as the SSC or HSC) on a case by case basis.
English Speaking Countries
||Antigua & Barbuda
||British Virgin Islands
||Papua New Guinea
|| St Kitts & Nevis
||St Vincent & the Grenadines
||Trinidad & Tobago
||Turks & Caicos Islands