All new international students must demonstrate sufficient English language ability to study at Ohio Wesleyan University by meeting one of the options below.
- The University reserves the right to require additional English language instruction, if needed, upon arrival. See our English Language Support.
- Students who have a lower level of English proficiency should still apply. Your application will be evaluated and if you are accepted, you may be required to attend one or two English support courses your first semester.
- You may self-report the scores but we will require official ones at the enrollment stage.
- TOEFL Paper-based exam: A score of 550 or higher.
- TOEFL Internet Based exam (iBT): A score of 80 or higher.
- SAT: A score of 550 or higher on the evidence-based reading and writing section of the SAT I.
- IELTS: A score of 6.5 or higher. You can email the Test Report Form Number at the bottom of the form instead of sending an official report directly from IELTS.
- Duolingo: A score of 100 or higher.
- English speaking country
You are originally from an English speaking country listed below and the primary language of instruction is English.
- English as a second Language
English is your second language but you have attended a secondary school in an English speaking country listed below for at least three years.
- IB Programs/O or A Levels/Other External Exams
Applicants who have completed or are pursuing a full IB diploma in English or have received at least a 5 in the English exam can receive the English proficiency waiver. Also, for applicants who have taken or are studying for O or A Level exams, we will also waive the English proficiency requirement. We will review other External Exam results (such as the SSC or HSC) on a case by case basis.
English Speaking Countries
|Anguilla||Antigua & Barbuda||Australia||Bahamas||Barbados||Belize||Bermuda|
|Botswana||British Virgin Islands||Cameroon||Canada||Cayman Islands||Dominica||Falkland Islands|
|Namibia||New Zealand||Nigeria||Papua New Guinea||St Kitts & Nevis||St Lucia||St Vincent & the Grenadines|
|Seychelles||Sierra Leone||Singapore||Solomon Islands||South Africa||Swaziland||Tanzania|
|Tonga||Trinidad & Tobago||Turks & Caicos Islands||Uganda||United Kingdom||United States||Vanuatu|