Are you a first-year international student with questions about the application process at Ohio Wesleyan? Check out this list of FAQs. If you still need help, we're just an email or phone call away.

Does OWU offer graduate degrees (master's, Ph.D., etc.)

No, Ohio Wesleyan is an undergraduate-only university offering Bachelor's degrees.

How does Ohio Wesleyan define an international student?

If you are not an American citizen, permanent resident, or refugee/asylee in the U.S., you are considered an international student.

How many international students will I find at OWU?

Ohio Wesleyan's student body of fewer than 2,000 students includes approximately 10 percent international students from more than 30 countries.

I'm an American citizen and have lived overseas all my life. Am I considered an international student? Do I apply as an international student?

OWU has many American students who have lived or are currently living abroad. With Ohio Wesleyan's focus on global education, your international experiences make you a valued member of our community. Although the Director of International Admission, will be your Admission Counselor, you should apply as an American student.

What happens after I apply?

After we have received your application, we:

  • Provide you with a link, your username and password and you can check your application status (what documents have/have not been received).
  • Send your admission decision electronically two to four weeks after your paperwork is completed.

Do you require an interview as part of the application process?

No. While we don't require an interview, we do value getting to know students. OWU offers several options. Learn more.

What are the typical yearly expenses at Ohio Wesleyan?

Read the International Student Additional Costs and Fees page for more information.

Will Ohio Wesleyan accept photocopies of my transcript until I can submit official ones?

We generally do not accept photocopies of any transcripts, although exceptions may be made in very special circumstances. Permission to send photocopies may be granted only after a complete evaluation of the situation and at the Admission Counselor's discretion.

Am I required to submit official documents for admission to OWU in the original language or should they be translated?

All documents should be submitted in English or in the original language accompanied by a certified literal translation.

Does OWU accept local examination results?

We take into consideration any local external examinations such as O-levels, IB, IGCSE, ICSE, SPM, KCSE, and others that are administered by an educational examining board.

Do you have scholarships for international students?

Yes. Ohio Wesleyan awards a Bashford International scholarship of $30,000.

Learn more.

May I work while I'm a student?

Yes. You are allowed to work on campus up to 20 hours per week when school is in session and full-time during breaks and summer. F-1 students are prohibited by the U.S. non-immigrant law to work off campus. Jobs are not guaranteed.

Am I required to submit an affidavit of support at the application stage?

Yes. You will need to fill out the International Student Financial Form which you can access through the portal once you have submitted your application.

Does OWU have an English As a Second Language (ESL) program?

Yes, we have English support classes for incoming international students.

Who is required to submit TOEFL/IELTS results?

We require all international students to verify their English proficiency. Learn more about the different options.

What is the minimum English requirement?

For complete details, please go to our English Proficiency page.

If my TOEFL score is less than the minimum requirement, can I still be admitted to OWU?

English proficiency is only one of the factors we consider when making our admission decisions. The result of your TOEFL test alone would not determine your admission eligibility. Students who have a lower level of English proficiency will still be evaluated but they will be required to attend one of our English support classes their first semester on campus.

Can I submit an Initialview Interview in place of an English proficiency test?

Yes. We consider an Initialview interview as sufficient proof of English fluency. For more information on registering for an Initialview interview, please visit their website.

I graduated from a U.S. high school. Is that sufficient proof of English proficiency?

We evaluate each applicant individually. However, if you have studied at a U.S. high school for at least two years, you may meet our English proficiency requirement. Learn more.

How do I obtain a visa to study at OWU?

After you have submitted your deposit, you will be emailed specific instructions on what documents are needed and how much funds you will need to certify. Complete details can be found on our website.

When can I get my I-20?

After you have been accepted and submitted a non-refundable enrollment fee of US$400, and we receive the proper financial documentation, it generally takes about three business days for the I-20 to be issued. However, it can take as much as a week during the busiest time of year. Complete details can be found on our website.

I submitted financial documentation along with my application form and other supporting documents. Do I have to submit the Affidavit of Financial Resources form for the I-20?

Yes. Ohio Wesleyan University is required to obtain proof of funds from its students before the I-20 is issued. Accepted international students are often offered some financial assistance. You should use the form to update us about how you will contribute to the remaining cost of attending the University. It is also very important for you to read the instructions before submitting this form. The issuance of the I-20 will be delayed if the form is incorrectly filled out. Complete details can be found on our website.

Can OWU issue my I-20 immigration document before I submit proof of financial resources?

No. We must have received all required documents before we can issue the I-20.

I am currently studying in the U.S. on an F-1 student visa and want to transfer to OWU. Do I need a new I-20?

Yes. You will need an I-20 from Ohio Wesleyan, and your current school should transfer you to OWU on SEVIS before the I-20 can be issued. The appropriate form will be sent to you for SEVIS transfer once you have indicated you are attending Ohio Wesleyan University.

Is it possible to defer my admission to Ohio Wesleyan?

Yes, if you plan to defer, submit the $400 non-refundable enrollment fee and inform your Admission Counselor, in writing, of your intentions no later than July 1. If the Admission Committee approves your plan to defer, the scholarship and/or financial aid award you received will be applicable for the spring semester. If you intend to defer for a full-year, your scholarship will be held for you, but you will need to reapply for need-based financial aid. Students are not permitted to defer for more than one year. Students will not be approved for a deferral if their intention is to enroll as a full-time, degree-seeking student elsewhere.

My studies at OWU will be sponsored by my government. What financial documentation should I submit?

You will need to provide official documents that indicate you are being sponsored by your government and how much support it is providing.

Who must pay the SEVIS fee?

You must pay the SEVIS fee if you were issued a Form I-20 on or after September 1, 2004, and one of the following conditions applies:

  • You are seeking an F-1 or F-3 visa from a United States embassy or consulate for first-time attendance in a language training program. In this case, the SEVIS fee must be paid BEFORE visa issuance.
  • You hold a valid F-1 or F-3 visa, have been absent from the United States for a period of more than 5 months (not working on your studies during this time with the prior approval of your school), and will re-enter the U.S. for a new program of study. In this case, the SEVIS fee must be paid BEFORE re-entry to the U.S.
  • As a resident of a contiguous territory or adjacent island, you are exempt from the visa requirement (for example, you are a citizen of Canada or Bermuda) and will apply for admission at port of entry to begin initial attendance at a U.S. school. In this case, the SEVIS fee must be paid BEFORE entry to the U.S.
  • F-2 visa holders, the spouse and dependents of the F-1 visa holder, are not required to pay the SEVIS fee. See the section entitled "A Note About Processing Times" for further important fee payment considerations.

How much is the SEVIS fee and how do I pay it?

The SEVIS fee is US$350. This fee is separate from and in addition to the visa application fee. The SEVIS fee must be paid by the Internet or by mail. It cannot be paid at a U.S. embassy or consulate and it cannot be paid at port of entry. Go HERE for the SEVIS fee payment tutorial.

The fee can be paid:

  • Electronically, by completing a form I-901 through the Internet and using a VISA, MasterCard, or American Express credit card. Click here to access the U.S. Immigrations and Customs Enforcement website.
  • By mail, by submitting Form I-901, Fee Remittance for Certain F, J, and M Nonimmigrants, together with a check or money order drawn on a U.S. bank and payable in U.S. currency. Sources for such checks and money orders include banks chartered or operated in the U.S., foreign subsidiaries of U.S. banks, or foreign banks that have an arrangement with a U.S. bank to issue a check, money order, or foreign draft that is drawn on a U.S. bank.
  • Western Union Quick Pay Service - detailed payment instructions are available HERE.

A third person such as a friend, family member, or other interested person can pay the fee on your behalf through the same means described above.

The fee-payment method makes it possible for non-immigrant students and exchange visitors around the world to pay the fee in their home countries' currencies using the Western Union Quick Pay service.

Do I have to pay if I transfer to another school, travel outside the U.S. or renew my visa?

The SEVIS fee is not required when transferring schools, changing to another degree program or level, requesting a program extension, renewing an F-1 visa or using F-1 program benefits such as practical training. If you are in status when you travel internationally and are not physically outside of the U.S. for more than five months, you will not be required to pay the fee.

If I have already paid the SEVIS fee for one school, and then decide to attend another, do I have to pay the fee again?

If you have been accepted to more than one institution and paid the fee using the SEVIS ID number of an institution you will not be attending, you will not have to pay the fee again. Bring the I-20s of both the school for which you paid the fee and the school you will be attending, as well as your SEVIS fee payment receipt, to the consulate or port of entry (if you are applying for a visa, you should take both of the I-20s back to the consulate).

Is the SEVIS fee refundable if I am denied a visa?

The SEVIS fee is non-refundable unless paid by mistake, even if your visa is denied or, subsequent to issuance of the visa, you choose not to come to the United States.

If you applied for an F-1 or F-3 visa and paid the SEVIS fee within the last year but were denied a visa, you do not have to pay the SEVIS fee again as long as you re-apply for the same kind of program within 12 months of the initial denial.

Will the Department of Homeland Security keep a record of my payment on file?

Fee payments should be entered into your permanent immigration (SEVIS) record, we strongly recommended that you retain a copy of your fee receipt (form I-797) to use as needed.

What do I need to do to apply for an F-1 visa, change of status, or reinstatement?

  • Obtain the appropriate Form I-20 from a DHS-approved school.
  • Pay the SEVIS fee by mail or online.
  • Make a copy of the I-797 (mail) or computer receipt (online) for your records.
  • Submit a copy of the I-797 or computer receipt with your visa, change of status or reinstatement application OR
  • Students who are exempt from visa requirements, such as Canadians, should take a copy of the SEVIS fee receipt to present at the port of entry with the appropriate I-20. It will not be possible to pay the fee at the port of entry.
  • For change of status or reinstatement applications, if you previously paid the SEVIS fee while attending a different school, you should submit a copy of that school I-20 form with your application.

Is there anything else I need to know about SEVIS processing times and payment verification?

If you pay the SEVIS fee via the Internet, your payment is processed immediately and you can print a receipt directly from your computer at the time you make payment. This computer-generated receipt can be used at an embassy, consular post, or port of entry to verify that you have paid the fee. Mailing the SEVIS fee does not constitute payment. The fee is processed when it is received by DHS. If you mail your payment rather than pay on the Internet, it can take a considerable amount of time for payment to be received and for you to receive a receipt by return mail.

Whether you choose to pay the fee by on the Internet or by mail, a paper receipt will be mailed to the address you provide on Form I-901. You may choose to have this receipt sent to you either by regular mail or, at an additional charge, by express delivery.

A paper receipt is not required for you to be issued a visa or to be admitted at the port of entry. Embassies and consular posts will be able to verify your fee payment without a receipt in most circumstances if you pay the fee far enough in advance of your visa interview. Electronic payments must be submitted at least three (3) business days in advance of the interview if you will rely on electronic fee verification at the consulate. Mailed payments must be sent in a manner that assures arrival at the DHS address listed on the I-901 at least three (3) business days before the scheduled interview.

What happens after I leave OWU?

After graduation, approximately 50 percent of OWU international students go on to graduate school, 25 percent accept employment in the United States, and 25 percent return to their homes for further schooling or careers.

Graduate Schools Attended

Ohio Wesleyan provides exceptional undergraduate preparation for the nation's finest graduate programs. 

California Institute of Technology Macquarie University University of Illinois
Carnegie Mellon University Massachusetts Institute of Technology University of Maryland
Case Western Reserve University Northwestern  University University of Massachusetts
The College of William and Mary Penn State University University of Michigan
Columbia University Rice University University of North Carolina
Cornell University Stanford University University of Notre Dame
Harvard University State University of New York University of Pennsylvania
Johns Hopkins University University of California University of Virginia
Lehigh University University of Chicago Yale University

Virtually all of our graduates in Ph.D. programs in United States universities receive substantial financial support, tuition, and a stipend, usually in the form of a teaching or research fellowship or assistantship.

Some students choose to enter the workforce immediately after completing their undergraduate degrees. The American companies at which many have begun their careers include:

Communication and Media

  • AT&T
  • CNN
  • ESPN
  • Facebook
  • Middle East Broadcasting Networks, Inc.


  • Booz Allen Hamilton
  • Deloitte
  • Ernst & Young
  • KPMG

Financial Services, Banking, and Insurance

  • Chemical Bank
  • Citibank
  • The Federal Reserve Bank of the United States
  • Goldman Sachs
  • Merrill Lynch
  • Morgan Stanley
  • Nationwide
  • Paine Webber
  • The World Bank


  • Applied Materials
  • Oracle
  • The United Nations
  • Wendy's International

Office of International Admission


Slocum Hall
75 S Sandusky St
Delaware, OH 43015
F 740-368-3314

Social Media

Facebook Facebook

LinkedIn LinkedIn

Instagram Instagram