Career Services highly recommends that students complete at least one internship during their college career. Relevant volunteer experiences or part-time jobs are also considered valuable ways to extend knowledge beyond the classroom and build transferable skills.
INTERNSHIPS ARE VALUABLE FOR
- Gaining out-of-class experience; taking what you’ve learned in the classroom and applying it in the world of work.
- Building skills and acquiring an understanding of the demands of a particular career field.
- Deciding if this type of work is a good fit for you.
- Increasing your marketability with employers or graduate schools.
- Enhancing your confidence in your abilities.
- Beginning to create a professional network.
RELEVANT WORK EXPERIENCE A KEY FOR JOB-SEARCH SUCCESS
Nearly three-quarters of surveyed employers said they prefer to hire job candidates who have pertinent experience. Read more
CHECK OUT THE RECOMMENDATIONS AND LINKS BELOW AS YOU BEGIN YOUR INTERNSHIP SEARCH
- Internship Timeline
- On-site Library – Career Services’ on-site library includes internship resources.
- Attend Career Fairs & Networking Events
- OWU Career & Graduate School Fair – Held on-campus each fall, this event includes employers seeking to fill full-time positions, internships, and summer jobs.
- OFIC CareerFest – This career fair is held every spring semester in Columbus; over 100 employers participate to talk with students about jobs and internships.
- OWU Internship & Summer Job Fair – Held on-campus every spring
- Munch & Mingle – OWU alumni return to campus each fall to network with students.
- Internship Panel – Held in the spring semester, current OWU students discuss their internship experiences.
- Other events to be announced.
- Seek advice from your professors and academic advisor.
- Additional Opportunities - A great link to find additional career opportunities