Named in honor of Ohio Wesleyan's 11th president, Elden T. Smith '32, Smith Hall is a five-story building that houses students in two wings (Smith East and Smith West) joined by a two-story community area. Smith Hall is currently under renovation -- Smith West will be complete and open to first-year students in August 2020, and Smith East will be complete in August 2021. When the renovation is complete, Smith Hall will be home to our first-year students. Smith West will accommodate 159 students, and Smith East will house 239 students once it is completed. Smith Hall has floors that are are coed by room, and floors that are single-gender. Smith Hall is staffed by one professional Residential Life Coordinator (RLC) and student Resident Assistants (RAs).
Rooms in Smith Hall are double-occupancy bedrooms that measure approximately 9' 3" x 18' 10". Each student is provided a bed with an extra-long twin mattress (39" x 80"), a desk and desk chair, an armoire closet, and two 2-drawer dressers. Every bed can be easily bunked with another bed, lofted with a University-provided loft kit, or raised on it's own bed ends.
- Academic - Study rooms are available on each floor for individual and group study.
- Bathrooms - Bathrooms are built with student privacy in mind, and are designed to meet all student needs. Every shower and toilet are in private rooms, and every bathroom area has an ADA accessible space.
- WiFi Internet - High speed WiFi internet is available throughout Smith Hall.
- Cable TV - Cable TV is available in lounges and common spaces throughout the Smith Hall community.
- Air-Conditioning - Smith Hall is an air-conditioned building.
- Recreation - A large common room, complete with television, couches, and table games are located in the lobby that connects the two Smith Hall towers.
- Classroom - A classroom is located on the 2nd floor of the lobby, which is used for events and classes.
- Kitchen Facilities - A large kitchen area on the 2nd floor of the lobby offers students an opportunity to make a snack, cook a meal with friends, or learn to cook with OWU staff.
- Laundry Facilities - The Smith Hall laundry facility offers plenty of washers and dryers for students. These machines are available at no additional cost to the student.
- Dining - Smith Dining Hall, located on the first floor of Smith West is a 24-hour dining facility - open whenever you need a meal, a snack, or something to drink.
- Late Night Desk - The Residential Life Late Night Desk is located on the first floor of the main lobby and offers students access to kitchen supplies, games, moving carts, and a variety of other items to check out for a period of time. It's also where students can get assistance with a room lockout, pickup up a new key, or connect with a Resident Assistant. The Late Night Desk operates 7pm-11pm Sunday - Thursday, and 7pm-2am Friday and Saturday.
- Amazon Locker - An Amazon delivery locker can be found in the north entrance of Smith Hall.