Named in honor of Herbert Welch, who served as Ohio Wesleyan’s President from 1905-1916, Welch Hall is a Living-Learning Community for Honors students. It offers special opportunities for involvement and a 24-hour quiet policy. The building houses 195 students and is staffed by one professional Residential Life Coordinator (RLC) and six student Resident Assistants (RAs). All first-year students, including those living in Welch Hall are part of the YearOne Living-Learning program, which provides extra support and guidance to first-year students as they transition to the college environment.
Welch Hall is coed by suite. A standard suite consists of two double-occupancy bedrooms, a common area, and a bathroom. A standard bedroom is approximately 14’ x 9’ and contains two standard size twin beds, two built-in closets (3 ½’x 2’x 6’), and a built-in dresser with a mirror. There is a shelf in each closet and a small cupboard above. The dresser has eight drawers to be shared by two students.
The common area is approximately 14’ x 10.’ There are four desks (with chairs) and a closet. Each desk has three drawers and a shelf above it. In addition, there are two standard electric outlets and one computer/Internet connection per desk. The closet measures approximately 5’x 2’x 6’, and like the bedroom closets, contains a shelf. The cable television connection is also located in this area.
The bathroom, accessed from the common area, contains a shower, vanity (with one sink and mirror), and private commode area. There are two small shelves, two standard electrical outlets, and two drawers located on either side of the sink. Each bathroom contains four towel racks.
- Academic – There is a computer lab located on the ground floor. In addition, there are study rooms on each of the four floors.
- Recreational – A pool table and ping pong table are available in the recreation area on the ground floor. The TV lounge is also located in this area.
- Kitchen Facilities – Kitchens (with a sink and microwave)are located on each floor. The ground, second and third floor kitchens also have an electric range and refrigerator. Vending machines are available on the ground floor for anytime snacking.
- Laundry Facilities – Located on the ground floor, there are 5 washers and 6 dryers in the laundry room. These machines are available at no additional cost to the student.
- Miscellaneous – An elevator is available for everyday use. The Welch Fitness Center is located on the first floor, as are public bathrooms. Trash rooms can be found on every floor. Students may check out games, a vacuum cleaner, and other supplies/resources from the first floor front desk.