2019 Summer Housing Information
Welcome to the summer housing information page! Please review all the information below so you are aware of how summer housing works at OWU.
The summer housing application will be available starting March 18, 2019 on the Res Life Portal, which can be found at the top, right of this page and on the Residential Life website.
Summer Housing Important Dates
|March 18, 2019||Summer housing application opens|
|April 12, 2019||Priority summer housing application deadline|
|April 12-21, 2019||Roommate matching period|
|April 21, 2019||Final deadline for summer housing applications|
|April 22, 2019||Summer housing placements out to students|
|May 8, 2019||Summer housing rates begin|
|May 10-12, 2019||Residents move to summer assignment (students in HBC, Honors House, Stuyvesant, and 110A, 94A, and 94B Rowland Ave)|
|May 19-22, 2019||Residents move to summer assignment (Students in all other residential communities)|
|May 19, 2019 (after 5pm)||Move in for students living on campus for only the summer class session|
|May 20, 2019||Summer classes begin|
|June 21, 2019||Summer classes end|
|June 22, 2019||Move out for students living on campus for only the summer class session|
|August 1-18, 2019||Residents move to fall housing assignment. Details on move timeline will be provided well ahead of deadlines.|
|August 18, 2019||Summer housing rates end|
Summer Housing Options
We have limited housing available to students over the summer months. Summer residents will have roommates (in rooms designed for more than one person) as we try to accommodate as many students in the housing options we have available over the summer.
Summer housing options include the following: Bigelow-Reed, 4 Williams, 110B Rowland (SLU), 118A Rowland (SLU), 118B Rowland (SLU).
Roommate matching can occur in one of three ways:
1. You search for and select specific people you know and would like to live with during the application process. All roommates will need to add each other as roommates in the roommate finder, which is part of the new housing portal.
2. You can use the search function in the roommate finder in the housing portal to find students who answered application questions similarly to you. You have full control to focus your search on specific questions or all questions.
3. You can let us use the new roommate matching software to find you the best match based on your application questions.
Summer Housing Rates
The daily rate for summer housing is $25/day. This rate applies to any day between May 8, 2019 and Sunday, May 18, 2019. You will be charged for all days you are in possession of your room and room keys even if there are days that you choose not to occupy the room.
Students who need housing for only the summer class session will pay $970. The summer class session begins Monday, May 20, 2019 and ends Friday, June 21, 2019. Move in and move out occurs the day before the summer class session begins and the day after the summer class session ends. Any student staying additional days before and after the summer class session dates will pay $25/day.
Students who are employed in an on-campus job and work 25hrs/week will pay a housing rate of $10/week. Student employees working 25hrs/week or more can also take classes during the summer term and pay the $10/week housing rate.
Summer Dining Available
Smith Dining operates during the summer months when campus and conferences are visiting campus and eating meals. If you wish to eat in Smith Dining when it's open over the summer, you can pay cash or purchase declining balance Dining Dollars by visiting www.OWU.edu/get beginning on Monday, May 20. Any remaining balance at the end of summer will continue to be available in the fall semester.
The schedule for summer meals will be shared via the AVI website. While Smith Dining will not be open for all meals, it will be open often.
Additional Summer Housing Information
1. Summer housing costs will be applied to student accounts in one lump sum. In the summer, that charge is typically applied at the end of your summer stay. For students living on campus only for the summer class session, two charges may be applied to your account - one for the summer class session and one for any days you live on campus before or after the summer session dates.
2. Students will be responsible for keeping their rooms and the residence hall clean. A Housekeeping schedule for bathrooms and common areas will be provided in May to students assigned to summer housing.
3. All rules in the Student Handbook apply during the summer.