It is up to the organization and the advisor to establish involvement expectations. This is mutually decided and determined in Advisor Agreement.
- Provide continuity with the history and tradition of past years
- Head off situations that might cause poor public relations
- Provide advice when called upon
- Clarify university policies
- Mediate any group disputes
- Teach the techniques and responsibilities of being a good leader
- Coach the officers in the principles of good organizational practice
- Teach the elements of effective group operation
- Develop procedures and plans for actions
- Keep the group focused on its goals
- Stimulate or even initiate activities and programs
- Introduce new program ideas
- Provide opportunities for the practice of classroom-acquired skills
- Help the group to apply principles and concepts learned in the classroom
- Point out new perspectives and directions to the group
- Supply expert knowledge and insights of experience
RESPONSIBILITIES OF STUDENT ORGANIZATION TO THE ADVISOR
Student Organizations responsibilities to their advisor include, but are not limited to the following:
- Establish and share a job description for the advisor that clearly defines their responsibilities and lines of communication anticipated.
- Notify the advisor of all meetings, activities, and establish an organization meeting attendance schedule, which is mutually agreed upon by the advisor and the student organization.
- Provide copies of meeting minutes in a timely manner.
- Meet regularly with the advisor to discuss organization matters.
- Consult the advisor prior to making significant changes to the structure of the organization.
- Consult the advisor when any significant organization policy changes are made.
- Show respect and value for the advisor.
- Consider all advice and guidance provided with an open mind and a sincere interest for improvement of daily operational and special event/activity needs.
RESPONSIBILITIES OF THE ADVISOR TO THE STUDENT ORGANIZATION
Advisor responsibilities to the student organization include but are not limited to the following:
- Communicate clearly which meetings, activities, and programs you will be attending.
- Consistently check in with student leaders to ask how to be helpful.
- Stay connected and updated on the budget of the student organization.
- Respond to concerns from any member of the Student Involvement Office.
- Respect and keep an open mind while providing feedback to students.
- Serve as an advocate for students in the organization.
- Provide resources for event planning including awareness of university, state, and federal laws to consider when event planning.
- Report any students of concern (mental, physical health) to the appropriate departments.