ALL RESIDENTIAL FACILITIES WILL CLOSE AT NOON ON FRIDAY, DECEMBER 17, 2021.
Students who plan to remain on campus after closing, during the break or to return early from the break, must complete the online request form for break housing by Friday, December 10, 2021 at 11:59 p.m. Students approved for break housing will be charged $25 per night to their student account. Any student requesting break housing after midnight on December 10, 2021 will be charge a $25 late registration fee, plus applicable fees.
IMPORTANT: Any student remaining on campus over any portion of the break without prior approval by the Residential Life Office will be assessed applicable fees, a failure to register charge of $50, and be referred to Student Conduct.
Students who need to reside on campus during the winter break will be required to consolidate to a specific location. Housing is extremely limited, and students who are not traveling home are strongly encouraged to make alternate arrangements with friends or family.
HALL OPENING AND RETURN TO CAMPUS
All university residence halls will reopen at Noon on Sunday, January 9, 2022.
It is expected that all students coming back from break will move back into their residence halls after that time. If you have an empty bed in your room/suite/apartment, please leave your residential space clean over winter break so as to easily accommodate a new roommate should one be assigned to your room.
STUDENTS NOT RETURNING NEXT SEMESTER AND THOSE CHANGING ROOMS
If you are leaving Ohio Wesleyan University and/or not returning next semester, you must check out of your room with your RA or Residential Life Coordinator. Students who have already received permission to change their room assignments are reminded that these changes must be made before you leave for the break. Failure to check out of your room and/or return your key will result in a series of fines totaling over $159.00. Residents who are moving out must clean their space and remove all personal belongings from the room. Students should also turn in their mail room key to the Hamilton-Williams Campus Center student mail room.
AIRPORT SHUTTLE INFORMATION
STORAGE OF BICYCLES
Any student wishing to store a bicycle for the winter break can contact the Public Safety Office, Smith Hall, room 120, 740-368-2222 to make arrangements. You may also store a bicycle in your residence hall room.
Bicycles are not to be left in corridors, public areas, or stairwells of any residence unit or in student bathrooms. They will be impounded, and the owners will be charged an impound fee. Motorcycles must not be stored in any residence hall, small living unit, or fraternity.
BEFORE YOU LEAVE
- Unplug and defrost your refrigerator and discard perishable food. Refrigerators must be empty and clean. Please do not leave refrigerators in showers to defrost. Give yourself plenty of time to defrost your refrigerator (at least 24 hours before you leave campus) and clean up any puddles/water. If you don't unplug your refrigerator, Residential Life staff members will unplug refrigerators and dispose of perishable food items left behind.
- Empty wastebaskets and discard perishable food.
- Lock windows and turn off heat.
- Turn off all lights and lock the door.
- Thoroughly clean room before leaving.
- Do not leave valuables in the room.
- Do not leave pets in the room. Do not leave fish tanks, even if you have an automatic feeder. Air temperatures will be significantly reduced and your pets will be unable to withstand the cold.
- The last resident of each room to leave should post the door sign given to you by your RA/Moderator.
- A Residential Life staff member will check each room for compliance with the above expectations.
Safety inspections will be conducted in rooms and suites after students leave. This process helps to ensure room windows are closed, there are no fire hazards present, and all doors are locked and secured. While the purpose of these inspections is not to search for policy violations, we are obligated to report any and all violations we see in the course of our safety inspection (i.e. empty alcohol containers, candles, theft of University property, etc.). Note that we will not look in drawers or closets; however, we will take note of any concerns in "plain view". Take this opportunity to take prohibited items home with you.
Mail will not be forwarded during break. If you are expecting an important piece of mail that needs to be forwarded, contact the mail room before you leave. Newspapers will not be held.
All dining facilities are closed for winter break between Friday, December 17, 2021 at 2:00pm - Sunday, January 9, 2022 at 4:30pm.
Property of Ohio Wesleyan University which has found its way to a student's room without approval will be removed during the break, and the residents of that room will be referred to the student conduct process.