This residence hall is named in memory of Lucy Webb Hayes, the University’s first female student and later the wife of Rutherford B. Hayes, 19th President of the United States. Hayes Hall is OWU’s only single-gender residence hall, providing living space for 196 women. The building is staffed by one professional Residential Life Coordinator (RLC) and six student Resident Assistants (RAs).
A suite consists of two bedrooms, a common area, and a bathroom. Standard bedroom is approximately 14’ x 9’ x 8’ and contains two standard-size twin beds, two built-in closets (3 ½’ x 2’ x 6’), and a built-in dresser with mirror. There is a shelf in each closet and a cupboard above. The dresser has eight drawers to be shared by two students.
The common area is approximately 14’ x 10’ x 8’ and contains four built-in desks (with desk chairs) and a closet. Each desk has three drawers and two shelves above it. In addition, there is one computer/Internet connection per desk. The closet measures approximately 5’ x 2’ x 6’, and like the bedroom closets, contains a shelf.
The bathroom, accessed from the common area, contains a shower, vanity area (with two sinks and a mirror), and a private commode area. There are two small shelves, two standard electrical outlets, and two drawers located on either side of the sinks. Each bathroom contains four towel racks.
- Academic – A computer lab is located on the ground floor; each floor has a study room as well.
- Recreational – A television and couches are located on the first floor. Additionally, the ground floor lounge has multiple tables and chairs.
- Kitchen Facilities – Kitchenettes (sink and microwave) can be found on the first, second, and third floors. The second and third floor kitchens also have refrigerators and ovens.
- Laundry Facilities – The laundry room, located on the ground floor, has five washers and five dryers. These machines are available at no additional cost to the student.
- Vending Machines are available on the ground floor.
- Public Bathroom is located on the first floor.
- Miscellaneous - An elevator is available for everyday use. Trash rooms are located on each floor. Students can check out a vacuum cleaner, games, and other supplies from the Smith Hall front desk.