Forms of Resolution

Administrative Resolution

In some cases, when charged, respondents may accept responsibility for violating University policy in a written notice to the Conduct Resolution Officer or Panel. This option will be provided in the charge notice to the respondent if it is a viable option. The Conduct Resolution Officer or Panel will determine appropriate outcomes without requiring a meeting with the respondent.

Respondents that accept the administrative decision will not be permitted to appeal the decision unless procedural rights have been violated. It should be noted that if a respondent’s file has a record of similar violations then a sanction may be issued based on the totality of the respondent’s history and circumstances presented.

Conduct Resolution Meetings

Following the receipt of the complaint, the University will discuss the Complainant’s options and will determine if an investigation needs to be conducted. Following the completion of the investigation, a conduct resolution meeting will be scheduled with a resolution meeting officer or a panel to assess the information and the alleged violations. The officer or panel will determine the responsibility of the responding student or organization and may impose follow up outcomes. Outcomes may include, but are not limited to educational actions, health interventions, community service, and/or separation from the University.

Informal Resolution

The informal resolution process is designed to eliminate a hostile environment without taking formal action against a respondent. Where the initial assessment concludes that informal resolution may be appropriate, the University will take immediate and corrective action through the imposition of individual and community remedies designed to maximize the Complainant’s access to the educational and extracurricular activities at the University and to eliminate a hostile environment.

Participation in informal resolution is voluntary, and a Complainant or respondent can request to end informal resolution at any time. Pursuing informal resolution does not preclude later use of formal resolution if the informal resolution fails to achieve a resolution acceptable to the parties and to the University and/or one party violates the terms of the informal resolution.

As part of informal resolution, the Director of Student Conduct and Community Standards or designee may:

  • Resolve the complaint through the implementation of remedies when there is sufficient information about the nature and scope of the conduct to support such a response.
  • Act promptly to meet with the parties involved to inform them of the corrective actions.
  • Other potential remedies include targeted or broad-based educational programming or training, supported direct confrontation of the respondent, mediation when appropriate (not used in cases of sexual violence), and/or indirect action by the Director of Student Conduct and Community Standards or designee.