OWjL Camp 2022 is being planned.
We appreciate your patience and will update the website with 2022 camp info as soon as decisions are made.
If you have any questions, please email us at email@example.com.
Greetings from OWjL, where plans are underway for our 40th summer camp in 2021! If you have not had previous experience with OWjL, we hope you will read the information on this website and consider our program in planning your summer schedule. If you have been an OWjL camper or parent in the past, we welcome you back! OWjL is designed to meet the intellectual, social, and emotional needs of gifted and talented middle school students in Central Ohio. It offers a place for students to learn new ideas, be challenged, and interact with others who have similar abilities.
The academic program of OWjL features a curriculum with classes in humanities, creative arts, mathematics, science, logic, and computers. Campers also participate in a variety of cultural, recreational, and social activities. The setting at Ohio Wesleyan University provides a campus experience with full 24-hour supervision by adult counselors. While academic guidelines are used in the competitive admissions process, creativity, talent, leadership, and a desire to learn are also part of the evaluation consideration. Qualified current 6th, 7th, and 8th grade students from all backgrounds are encouraged to apply.
Tuition for our 2021 camp is $680.00. This fee covers the entire cost of the program. Financial assistance is available. Through the generous support of Ohio Wesleyan University, numerous corporations, community groups, and individuals, we are able to offer a substantial scholarship program. Each student scholarship is based upon demonstrated need and typically ranges from 20-100 percent of the camp fee. First consideration for scholarship support will be given to new applicants; however, financial aid recipients from previous years are eligible to reapply. A financial aid application is part of the application process and will appear in your application portal.
The link to access the application is below. A complete application includes: Household and Child Information, Student Essay and Application, two Teacher Recommendations, and a Student Academic Record (completed by a school GT teacher, counselor, or principal). All parts of the application will be handled through our online OWjL Application Portal, where parents and students will be able to manage the application and see the steps that have been completed. The application deadline is February 28, 2021. We urge you to be prompt in completing the applications as the number of students who apply to OWjL Camp exceeds available space.
2021 Camp Dates
Week 1 - June 6-11 - students currently, as of today, are in grades 6 & 7
Week 2 - June 13-18 - students currently, as of today, are in grades 7 & 8
Week 3 - June 20-25 - students currently, as of today, are in grades 6 & 7
Start a New OWjL Application
- If you are a parent/guardian who has not set up an account for the OWjL Application Portal, click here to create an new account. The initial account must be set up by a parent/guardian. Parents/guardians will then be asked to set up account(s) for their child(ren).
View or Edit Your OWjL Application
- If you have already begun your application, click here to return to the application login page. This link is for parents/guardians, students, teachers, and school personnel who have logged into the OWjL Application Portal previously.
- Parents/guardians create an account in the OWjL Application portal. They submit the names and email addresses of their children who are applying.
- Students get an email invitation from the OWjL office to log into their applications. They submit their essay and application, along with the names and email address of two teachers who will provide recommendations and one GT teacher, school counselor, or principal who will provide qualifying academic information.
- Teachers and school personnel will get an email invitation from the OWjL office to log into the applications and submit their information.
- The application process is now complete. Parents/guardians can see the progress of all parts of the application when they log into the application portal.
Important Things to Know
- The applicant's parent coordinates the application process and all information regarding the application and its completion is available on the application portal. It is the responsibility of the applicant and his or her parent to ensure that all forms are received by the deadline.
- Incomplete applications will not be processed.
- No faxed, emailed, or mailed applications can be accepted.
- Do not send money with the application.
- Be considerate of school personnel and request references well in advance of deadlines.
- Complete your application on time. The number of students who apply exceeds the available spaces and late applications will be added to the wait list.
Essay Prompt Information
The goal of the student essay is to help the OWjL staff get to know you on a more individual basis. It provides you with an opportunity to share your interests, abilities, and creativity.
Choose only one question listed below and respond in 250 words or less. Originality, uniqueness of thought, organization, and correct spelling, punctuation, and grammar will help us select OWjL participants.
- Because this summer is OWjL's 40th summer camp, think of what your life will be like 40 years from now. How will you, your family, your community, and/or the world have changed? Describe a day in your life 40 years from now.
- This question was the essay prompt from our first year of camp: Describe a strong interest you have pursued. For example, perhaps you have done extensive reading in an area of interest, completed special projects, been active in a special interest club, etc. What have you learned and why is it important to you?
- Application - Camper applications must be submitted in the application portal by February 28th.
- Financial Aid - If you are applying for financial aid, you must submit a completed financial aid application with a copy of the required supporting documentation before March 7th. If you indicate an interest in financial aid, the application will appear in your application portal. You will be applying for financial aid BEFORE you know if your child has been accepted.