OWjL Camp 2023 Dates:
Week 1 - June 11 to 16 - students currently, as of today, are in grades 6 & 7
Week 2 - June 18 to 23 - students currently, as of today, are in grades 7 & 8
Week 3 - June 25 to 30 - students currently, as of today, are in grades 6 & 7
If you have any questions, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Greetings from OWjL, where plans are underway for our 42nd summer camp in 2023! If you have not had previous experience with OWjL, we hope you will read the information on this website and consider our program in planning your summer schedule. If you have been an OWjL camper or parent in the past, we welcome you back! OWjL is designed to meet the intellectual, social, and emotional needs of gifted and talented middle school students in Central Ohio. It offers a place for students to learn new ideas, be challenged, and interact with others who have similar abilities.
The academic program of OWjL features a curriculum with classes in humanities, creative arts, mathematics, science, logic, and computers. Campers also participate in a variety of cultural, recreational, and social activities. The setting at Ohio Wesleyan University provides a campus experience with full 24-hour supervision by adult counselors. While academic guidelines are used in the competitive admissions process, creativity, talent, leadership, and a desire to learn are also part of the evaluation consideration. Qualified current 6th, 7th, and 8th grade students from all backgrounds are encouraged to apply.
Tuition for our 2023 camp is $710. This fee covers the entire cost of the program. Financial assistance is available on the Fees & Scholarships page.
The link to begin the application process is below. A complete application includes: Parent/Guardian Form, Student Information Form, Student Application and Essay, two Teacher Recommendations, and a Student Academic Record (completed by a school gifted coordinator, guidance counselor, or principal). The application deadline is January 31, 2023. We urge you to be prompt in completing the applications as the number of students who apply to OWjL Camp exceeds available space.
Here are the steps for camper applications:
- Parent/Guardian requests an application online.
- An email is sent to parent/guardian with links to both the Parent/Guardian Form and the Student Information Form.
- Once the parent/guardian completes both of these forms, an email is sent to the student with a link to the Student Application and Essay form.
- Once the student completes their form, emails are sent to the two teachers and school personnel. (These are provided on the student application form.)
- Once all parts have been submitted, a confirmation email is sent to the parent that the application is complete.
- All applications are reviewed by two readers.
- All notifications of acceptance or waitlist are sent by the end of March.
Start a New OWjL Application
- Parent/guardians please request the OWjL Application here, you will then be provided a link to complete your forms. The initial request must be done by a parent/guardian.
Important Things to Know
- The applicant's parent begins the application process. We are working to automate notifications when everything is submitted and complete. It is the responsibility of the applicant and his or her parent to ensure that all forms are received by the deadline.
- Incomplete applications will not be processed.
- No faxed, emailed, or mailed applications can be accepted.
- Do not send money with the application.
- Be considerate of school personnel and request references well in advance of deadlines.
- Complete your application on time. The number of students who apply exceeds the available spaces and late applications will be added to the wait list.
Essay Prompt Information for 2023
The goal of the student essay is to help the OWjL staff get to know you on a more individual basis. It provides you with an opportunity to share your interests, abilities, and creativity.
Choose only one question listed below and respond in 250 words or less. Originality, uniqueness of thought, organization, and correct spelling, punctuation, and grammar will help us select OWjL participants.
Choose an historical person, who is no longer living, that you would like to interview. Explain who this person was, why you would like to interview him/her and what question or questions you would ask during the interview.
Imagine you have just won a travel lottery. You can take an all-expense paid trip with one person to any location and stay for 3 days. Describe where you would choose to go, who would go with you and how would you spend your time there.
- Application - Camper applications must be submitted online by January 31st.
- Financial Aid - If you are applying for financial aid, you must submit a completed financial aid application with a copy of the required supporting documentation before March 1st. You will be applying for financial aid BEFORE you know if your child has been accepted.