Majoring in psychology opens the door to a world of possibilities, and OWU psychology alumni are doing vital work in many fields across the country. Psychology majors collect and analyze data and learn to communicate the observed trends. Many also engage in unique projects with professors.
About the Major
Ohio Wesleyan's Psychology program is highly regarded for excellent teaching and research opportunities for students. In fact, College Factual in 2019 ranked OWU's Psychology program in the top 11% of all colleges and universities in America as a "Best Value for the Money" program.
As a Psychology major at OWU, you'll study a broad range of topics:
- from the social and intellectual development of the person to the prevention and treatment of psychological disorders,
- from operant and Pavlovian analyses of behavior to models of human thought processes,
- from the analysis of brain circuits to the mechanisms of long-term memory,
- from the behaviors of persons in isolation to group behavior in organizations,
- from the biological bases of visual perception to the therapeutic means of treating people with schizophrenia.
You will complete courses that span the breadth of the field, but you'll also have the freedom to choose from a number of courses to fulfill those requirements. Many students combine their psychology major or minor with a major in another field.