Richard D. Edwards
Professor of Music
- B.M., Ohio University
- M.M., Ph.D., University of North Carolina at Greensboro
Originally from Willoughby, Ohio, Richard Edwards is the Director of Bands and coordinator for the music education curriculum at Ohio Wesleyan University. He leads the Symphonic Wind Ensemble and the Marching Bishops, teaches Rock History and Conducting, serves as director for the OWU Summer Music Camp, and maintains an active schedule as a clinician and guest conductor. His doctoral dissertation created the Musical Brain Imaging Research Database (MusicBIRD), a comprehensive review of all peer-reviewed brain imaging studies involving human subjects engaged in musical processes.
Previously, Dr. Edwards taught high school band and elementary general music in Ohio and North Carolina, directed college bands at UNC Greensboro and Ithaca College, and served as the field commander for the Ohio University Marching 110. His scholarly interests include the neuroscience of music, the development of musical creativity, and exploring curricular balance between large ensemble performance traditions and vernacular musicianship.
Publications / Presentations
- Ohio Music Education Association PD Conference (2020). Choose Your Own Adventure! Adaptive Listening Rehearsal Strategies For Band
- Edgar, S. N., Councill, K.H., Edwards, R.D., Hoffman, III, E.C., & Spears, A. (2018). How did I end up here? The realities of teaching music education at small colleges and universities. Visions of Research in Music Education, 31. [PDF]
- Subtle Acts of Subversion Symposium Presentation (2017): Narratives of Music Teacher Educators at Small Colleges
- Narrative Inquiry in Music Education 5 Conference Presentation (2016): Narratives of Music Teacher Educators at Small Colleges
- Keynote Speaker: 84th International Bach Festival, Baldwin Wallace University (2016). Implications of Neuromusical Research: Music is Natural. Music is Nurtured.
- New Directions in Music Education Conference Presentation (2015): From Student To Composer On The First Day With Graphic Notation
- NAfME - National Conference Research Poster (2015): The Role of Meditation in the Development of Improvisation Skills
- Edwards, Richard D. (2015). "Seeking Balance." Music Educators Journal 101(4): 9-10.
- Ohio Music Education Association Conference Presentation (2015): Establishing & Sustaining Relationships with Mentor Teachers in Fieldwork & Student Teaching
- Edwards, Richard D. (2015). "An alternative approach to creativity and music literacy with real time Iconic Graphic Notation." New Directions in Music Education 1(2).
- Edwards, Richard D. (2014). "In politics and pedagogy, a philosophy guides the way." TRIAD 82(1): 54-55.
- Society for Music Teacher Education National Symposium Research Poster (2013): Strictures and Structures: A Framework for Teaching Music Curriculum
- Baldwin Wallace University NAfME Collegiate Chapter Guest Speaker (2013)
- Otterbein University NAfME Collegiate Chapter Guest Speaker (2012)
- Keynote Speaker: Kansas State University Music Teacher’s Symposium (2012)
- Ohio University Music Therapy Program Guest Speaker (2011)
- Capital University NAfME Collegiate Chapter Guest Speaker (2011)
- Guest Speaker: Muskingum University Lecture Series (2011)
- Society for Music Teacher Education National Symposium Presentation (2011): A Neuroscience Model of Music Learning
- Neurosciences and Music IV: Learning and Development Research Poster (2011): A Neuroscience Model of Music Learning
- Ohio Music Education Association Conference Presentation (2010): Neuroscience and Music Research: Implications for Music Educators
- Music Educators National Conference Perception & Cognition SRIG Presentation (2008): The neurosciences and music education: An online database of brain imaging neuromusical research
- Edwards, Richard D. and Hodges, Donald (2008). "Neuromusical research: An overview of the literature." In W. Gruhn & F. Rauscher (Ed.), Neurosciences in Music Pedagogy. New York: Nova Science Publishers: 1-25
In The News