What paperwork is required?

All students must receive an Appointment Notice from their OWU employer before starting a job. New employees also must fill out state and federal tax withholding forms and complete the I-9. For the I-9, you’ll need to show original documents verifying identity and employment eligibility. For a complete list of acceptable documents visit:  https://www.uscis.gov/sites/default/files/document/forms/i-9.pdf. Students unable to provide these documents cannot work.

You can complete the I-9 Form in the Student Employment / Human Resources Department in University Hall, Room 003. Direct Deposit will be required unless you are applying your earnings toward your student account (you will need to fill out a separate form to apply your pay to your student account).

Who can work on campus?

All full-time students who are enrolled in on-campus classroom instruction are eligible to apply for the temporary, part-time on-campus positions. Many on-campus positions are advertised as being part of the Federal Work Study Program. Please speak with the Financial Aid Office to see if you are eligible for the Federal Work Study Program. On-campus employment is not guaranteed for any student. All students are limited to holding two on-campus positions at any given time.

How many hours can I work?

Students generally work 8-10 hours per week depending on the campus job and their hours available to work. The maximum students are allowed to work is 20 hours per week.

How do I find a job?

On-campus employment is not guaranteed. The process is competitive and you will need to actively search for a position. All open positions are advertised on the Handshake Portal. Once logged in, please select Jobs. Filter to select “On Campus” under job type and “OWU Career Connections” under employers. This will bring up all on-campus positions currently accepting applications. Complete the Google Form link found in each listing to apply for the positions. You are also encouraged to speak with professors, staff and administration to see what opportunities may be available in the future. All students are limited to holding two on-campus positions at any given time.

What if I don’t like my job?

You may change jobs if you find one that better suits your skills or schedule. All students are limited to holding two on-campus positions at any given time. Please speak with your current supervisor and terminate your current position prior to accepting a new job.

I was awarded a Federal Work-Study Award, is employment guaranteed?

No. On-campus employment is not guaranteed even if you were awarded a Federal Work-Study award.

What is Federal Work-Study?

The Federal Work-Study Program is funded primarily by the federal government. Federal Work-Study awards are offered as part of annual financial aid packages to students who submit the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) and demonstrate financial need based on their FAFSA Information.

What is Institutional Work-Study?

This program is funded by the University and is not based on financial need. Students who do not qualify for the Federal Work-Study program may be offered Institutional (or non-Federal Work-Study) Student Employment awards as part of their annual financial aid packages.

What is StAP?

In addition to the governmental and institutional work-study programs mentioned, a limited number of student assistantships are available. The Student Assistantship Program (StAP) provides an hourly wage up to six hours a week for 15 weeks a semester as well as professional job experience. Most assistantships have major responsibilities, and they utilize skills that students are learning in class. New positions are added each spring for the following academic year through a variety of campus departments and offices.

I want to use my earnings to pay my bill. How do I do that?

If you would like all or part of your check to go toward your account, simply complete the appropriate form in your student employment new hire packet.

Do I have to report student wages on my income tax return?

Yes. Federal, state, and local income taxes will be withheld from your check based on the information you supply on tax-withholding forms. You will receive a W-2 form just as in any other position.

Contact Info


Office of Human Resources
University Hall #003
61 S. Sandusky St.
Delaware, Ohio 43015
P 740-368-3388
E hr@owu.edu