A vote of the faculty in 1955 established a “Writing Clinic” to help students deficient in writing. By the 1970s, it had evolved into the Writing Resource Center (WRC), dedicated to serving Ohio Wesleyan students, faculty, and administrators interested in improving their writing skills. In the 1990s, a Quantitative Skills Center was established for students who needed quantitative help in any area of their studies as well as an Academic Skills Assistance Office for student enhancement in the areas of learning strategies.
In the fall of 2000, extensive remodeling was done to the R.W. Corns Building to provide a space for a newly integrated Academic Resource Center to house all three centers: The Writing Center, The Academic Skills Center, and The Quantitative Skills Center.
On October 5, 2001, the Center was dedicated as the Sagan Academic Resource Center endowed by Margaret Pickett Sagan ’48 and John Sagan ’48 (both deceased). Their endeavors help ensure that students have access to tutoring and other academic support services.
On August 23, 2004, the Disabilities Service Center (DSC) was incorporated into the Academic Resource Center. The DSC works in cooperation with the Associate Dean of Academic Affairs and with the other Centers in the Sagan ARC. Reasonable accommodations are coordinated and adaptive strategies are employed to help students achieve academic success.
In August 2012, the Office of Academic Advising became part of the Sagan Academic Resource Center.
The Lanni Library
This resource library contains more than 1,000 volumes. Students are encouraged to check out its extensive collection of handbooks, computer software, learning resource materials, helpful handouts, and sample models of resumes, cover letters, and personal statements for graduate and professional schools.